Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I feel like screaming.........

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this

or crying (actually I think right now either one would do).

I just feel behind.....on everything.  We are behind in writing, and one day in math.  Reading and science are on schedule.  So I figure we would sit down and do some to get caught back up.  But now I see we haven't been using the handwriting book that came with our core.  Did an online chat.....handwriting isn't included in the core, it has a separate schedule???????

I won't even go into the fact that I haven't gotten hardly any of my chores for the day or week done and it is Wednesday at 11am!  I am pretty sure that I despareately need the four days of vacation we are taking next week but then I almost would like to send my family and I stay home!  LOL  Not kidding.  I just need a break where when I am folding laundry and on the phone with insurance trying to get our rates lowered (two birds with one stone) my 2 YO isn't destroying my living room!  ACK!

Vent over.  Time to go get something (anything at this point would be good!) done.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
I have been there. Before you run screaming into the night make all kids take a nap, even if they don't sleep they have to stay in their bedrooms with a book for an hour at the least. Then you can regroup. I have had this as a daily routine for all my kids lives, but I got lax and let the older ones stay up. I went crazy.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Take a deep breath.  We all need a chance to re-charge our batteries.  Try and take it easy on your vacation and come back to the table with re-newed energy.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
3 moms liked this

You say you are behind, so I have to ask, behind what, or who?  Who exactly are you in competition with? I ask this to try to help you remember that as a homeschooler, you don't answer to anybody. You can't be "behind" because there is no one doing exactly what you are doing.  Relax. one day behind in math is never going to hurt anybody.

How old are your kids? Are they able to help out with household chores? I really advise any mom to make kids accountable for a share of the housework. Even little ones can do something, even if its respecting the cleanliness LOL. If the 2 yr old is destroying the house, first, remember that they wont be two forever. A temporarily destroyed living room isnt  the end of the world. It may jst have to stay in mess mode for awhile. I learned some things when mine were little. First off, no one cares if your house isn't perfect. No one dies if your dishes don't get done. Piled up laundry will still be right there, its not going anywhere. But your kids are going to do amazing things in any given day, and you want to be able to say, "I saw that happen".  I let go of a lot of my "standards" and expectations, and I cannot for the life of me, remember any particular messes, or days of piled up dishes, or the thickness of the dust on my mantle. They mean nothing. I do remember the couch cushion fort, the under the table tent, the "dog parade", the homemade play dough, the read alouds on the couch.

They grow up fast, momma. Dont miss it because you hated getting behind on chores.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I would love to be like that......unfortuneately, that is not necessarily how DH sees it.  LOL

They are 6,4,2 and one due in Nov.  I know that a day behind isn't a huge deal but when we start to slide....well.  I just don't want it to get too far.  I want my kids to be able to do fun things too.  But it seems that at their ages, that is all they want to do.  And that won't fly with Daddy.  I am actually trying to get a little ahead of where our schedule says we are supposed to be.  Normally we wouldn't start school until Labor day but because of the little one on the way, I am trying to get ahead.

I do try to get them involved in helping with chores.  In fact, the 6 and 4 YO and momma just took out the trash and recycling since momma can't make that trip down our driveway three times without major BH!  LOL  And they do try to help out, but I don't want them to just be doing school and work all the time and not have time to be kids and have fun.  Heck, with the weather outside so nice right now, I don't want to do school and work.   Just need to find some balance......there has to be some kind of medium ground between every single thing being in tip top shape and someone calling CPS on me, kwim? 

Thank you for the input and advice to slow down and appreciate them when they are young.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You say you are behind, so I have to ask, behind what, or who?  Who exactly are you in competition with? I ask this to try to help you remember that as a homeschooler, you don't answer to anybody. You can't be "behind" because there is no one doing exactly what you are doing.  Relax. one day behind in math is never going to hurt anybody.

How old are your kids? Are they able to help out with household chores? I really advise any mom to make kids accountable for a share of the housework. Even little ones can do something, even if its respecting the cleanliness LOL. If the 2 yr old is destroying the house, first, remember that they wont be two forever. A temporarily destroyed living room isnt  the end of the world. It may jst have to stay in mess mode for awhile. I learned some things when mine were little. First off, no one cares if your house isn't perfect. No one dies if your dishes don't get done. Piled up laundry will still be right there, its not going anywhere. But your kids are going to do amazing things in any given day, and you want to be able to say, "I saw that happen".  I let go of a lot of my "standards" and expectations, and I cannot for the life of me, remember any particular messes, or days of piled up dishes, or the thickness of the dust on my mantle. They mean nothing. I do remember the couch cushion fort, the under the table tent, the "dog parade", the homemade play dough, the read alouds on the couch.

They grow up fast, momma. Dont miss it because you hated getting behind on chores.

SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like she's using a K12 type public school system right now, so unfortunately, she does have a schedule to keep.

Sorry, mama! Try to keep your cool and build the handwriting thing slowly into your schedule.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Actually we use Sonlight......so no one is looking over my shoulder except DH.  LOL  We live in MI which has pretty lax standards.  My husband has not learned that if we fall a little behind that it is not a big deal.  But he is a major rule follower so I haven't quite figured out how to deal with that yet.

It does get a little annoying when even the people that wrote the curriculum said that they didn't do everything with their kids.  Sometimes we struggle just to keep up and we don't even have art, music, or gym added in like I would like to.  I don't know how some of you ladies do it.  I read about the things that you are doing with your kids and are in awe!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

It sounds like she's using a K12 type public school system right now, so unfortunately, she does have a schedule to keep.

Sorry, mama! Try to keep your cool and build the handwriting thing slowly into your schedule.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It also sounds like the schedule you are using is not a good fit for your family.  You might have to use it for the time being, but do some research to find out what works better for you and the children.

My Journey From Public School Teacher To Home School Mom, by Bluerooffarm on Cafemom

How To Home School

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yikes. Then I wish I had more advice. For us, we approach things with an attitude of mastery, rather than filling in all the circles. If DD understands what she's doing then there's no reason to do another 5 pages of worksheets. We can move on and be okay. Some things require that much practice, but not every single topic in every single subject.

How involved is Dad in the day-to-day of teaching?

Quoting jwhit8791:

Actually we use Sonlight......so no one is looking over my shoulder except DH.  LOL  We live in MI which has pretty lax standards.  My husband has not learned that if we fall a little behind that it is not a big deal.  But he is a major rule follower so I haven't quite figured out how to deal with that yet.

It does get a little annoying when even the people that wrote the curriculum said that they didn't do everything with their kids.  Sometimes we struggle just to keep up and we don't even have art, music, or gym added in like I would like to.  I don't know how some of you ladies do it.  I read about the things that you are doing with your kids and are in awe!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM

He is not........that is something that falls under the "you are the SAHM so it's up to you".  I got this curriculum for this year because the baby is coming.  This is the third year we have used their stuff and I usually do pretty good. I do like the schedule for me personally.  I need that whole "check off the boxes type thing" to keep me on track.  If not, I don't like to think what would happen.  I have thought about trying to come up with some other things on my own but haven't made that leap yet.  I just started with the 4 YO this year also so that adds an element to everything.

This whole year since finding out about this baby coming, I have felt out of sorts with where I am going.  School, chores, everything.  I think I might just need to buckle down and be a little more disciplined with managing time. 

Thanks for listening ladies, I appreciate it.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Yikes. Then I wish I had more advice. For us, we approach things with an attitude of mastery, rather than filling in all the circles. If DD understands what she's doing then there's no reason to do another 5 pages of worksheets. We can move on and be okay. Some things require that much practice, but not every single topic in every single subject.

How involved is Dad in the day-to-day of teaching?

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

If he's not exactly involved then does he need to know where you are in your schedule? That's the nice thing about homeschooling, we're never behind because we work at our pace always.

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN