Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ready to throw in the K12 towel... HELP!!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
I like K12 don't get me wrong but I think my daughter hates it. I'm terrified that if I don't have this structure that comes with K12 that I will fail my daughter but at the same time I'm so stressed trying to get in 6 hours of first grade every day... I admit I have been fibbing a little to make the time up... But it's the what 6th day of school and my daughter is already rebelling... But she has to knowthese things. II'm seriously considering sending her to a private school. I want to homeschool. I feel like a failure but I can't keep fighting with her every day about school. She loves learning and I feel like that love is being destroyed but I have no idea how to do it without a curriculum laid out. I'm so stuck I want to cry and just curl up in a ball and hide. I don't know what to do. My dh thinks we should just put her back in school but I know I will barely see her and who knows what she will learn from all those crazy kids! HELP PLEASE!!!
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
darlingmeggy
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm worried that is going to happen to me, I signed 2 of my girls up threw k12 doing the insight school charter option but we haven't started yet as school starts here in September but I can't shake the feeling I picked the wrong avenue. Here is a bump.
lucsch
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 moms liked this

There are many effective ways to successfully homeschool without a computer, reams of worksheets and fewer than 6 hours a day. All you will get out of this is killing the joy of learning! Dump it!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

There are a bunch of curriculums out there that have a recommended schedule to follow.  Maybe in the mean time try researching which ones you think will work best for your family (whether it be religious/secular, hands on, classical, etc.). There are books out there like "What your child needs to know in ____ grade", and base what you pick and choose off of something like that. Granted, I never did K12 so I have no clue how it is all set up and run...but you can purchase curricula and make it as structured or as laid back as you want it to be... 
For me, I love that the majority of the stuff I picked out has at least a recommended schedule to follow. Spelling and Math doesn't because it's mastery based, but if we did one lesson a week, it would turn out to a full year, but I know on some things we'll speed through and others we'll stay stuck on, so it'll average out in the end. The only one I don't have anything for is reading, and I'm worried about that one, but history, science, writing,handwriting, and art all had the schedules that I'm choosing to follow for the most part - otherwise we'd never get anything done.

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Take a deep breath, and relax.  There is NOTHING wrong with you.  You are simply experiencing what many before you have experienced with K12.  Read this article about that from a mom here on cafe-mom.

My Journey From Public School Teacher To Home School Mom. 

You need the structure, and you can get that from Grade Level Requirements.  you may need some kind of curriculum to help until you develop your skills at Whole Brain Teaching.  But the more you do it, the easier it becomes to take your objectives for the day, and think about what activities would teach those things.  Trips to the grocery store, and cooking are amazing tools to teach reading, measuring, weights.  Walks can be used to teach sequencing.  It is amazing how efficient you will get with this over time.  So be patient with yourself, and there are many here to help you . 

PinkButterfly66
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

For 1st grade, you could do Time4Learning.com and workbooks (math and language arts) from the book store.  Go to your city's public school website and look up the SOL curriculum and follow that.  I did that for my daughter's 3rd grade.  For the history part (whatever they cover) go to the library and get books that she can read with you.  The Eye Witness books on history are pretty cool with lots of pictures.  Have her do a poster or diorama on the subject to wrap it up.  For science part, there are lots of sites online to give you ideas.  

EDIT:  For math, I recommend you go to the site touchmath.com and get the free download worksheets that they have for 1st grade.  I would recommend you get the poster for touch points and borrow the free training dvd (here)

Look in the sale section too:

http://www.touchmath.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=allothers.products&CATID=106&Pid=207

You can also buy a homeschool kit here: 

http://www.touchmath.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=homeschool.first

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:45 PM

P.S. How old is your daughter?

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I know that this will sound silly that I just made my own post today about being behind and feeling like our curriculum is controlling us but we do Sonlight.  I do like that it has everything laid out for me.  I think as we go I will probably pull away from it and go out on my own, but I am not ready for that step this year.  Are you in a state that has a lot of requirements?  I have heard that k12 is not at all flexible and that is what I was steering clear from.

mybabiesmyheart
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Quoting jwhit8791:

I know that this will sound silly that I just made my own post today about being behind and feeling like our curriculum is controlling us but we do Sonlight.  I do like that it has everything laid out for me.  I think as we go I will probably pull away from it and go out on my own, but I am not ready for that step this year.  Are you in a state that has a lot of requirements?  I have heard that k12 is not at all flexible and that is what I was steering clear from.

We are required to do 6 hours a day plus there are mandatory "classes" where the teacher talks about stuff then all the kids get their Mike's turn on and start screaming into them... It's irritating and we have to be part of it or she can get "in trouble" I think we may just buy the curriculum then work at our own pace. I like the curriculum just hate that they control it so my daughter (who is 6) and I feel stressed that we have this deadline every day and God forbid we have other things to do or her sister is interupting every few min because then it turns into 6pm and were still trying to get that last hour and a half in to meet the quota.
mybabiesmyheart
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Quoting romacox:

Take a deep breath, and relax.  There is NOTHING wrong with you.  You are simply experiencing what many before you have experienced with K12.  Read this article about that from a mom here on cafe-mom.

My Journey From Public School Teacher To Home School Mom. 

You need the structure, and you can get that from Grade Level Requirements.  you may need some kind of curriculum to help until you develop your skills at Whole Brain Teaching.  But the more you do it, the easier it becomes to take your objectives for the day, and think about what activities would teach those things.  Trips to the grocery store, and cooking are amazing tools to teach reading, measuring, weights.  Walks can be used to teach sequencing.  It is amazing how efficient you will get with this over time.  So be patient with yourself, and there are many here to help you . 

She is 6! Thank you! I'm just terrified that I will fail her. And if we do child led learning then how will they learn to do well when they get to college? I just want to do the right thing for them.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 14, 2013 at 2:09 PM

But is that 6 hours a requirement of the state you live in or just the k-12 program?  We are doing 1st grade with my son this year and I would think at most, it takes us 3 hours to do his stuff.  Maybe a little more if we added in electives like gym or music or a second language.  I would think that would frustrate anyone (especially a 6 YO) to have to sit and do it for 6 hours.

Quoting mybabiesmyheart:

Quoting jwhit8791:

We are required to do 6 hours a day plus there are mandatory "classes" where the teacher talks about stuff then all the kids get their Mike's turn on and start screaming into them... It's irritating and we have to be part of it or she can get "in trouble" I think we may just buy the curriculum then work at our own pace. I like the curriculum just hate that they control it so my daughter (who is 6) and I feel stressed that we have this deadline every day and God forbid we have other things to do or her sister is interupting every few min because then it turns into 6pm and were still trying to get that last hour and a half in to meet the quota.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)