Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Morning Boards

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM
  • 26 Replies

Does anybody utilize a morning board?  I'm wanting to create something that fits our family right now - teaching months, days, years, etc. along with maybe having a letter of the week (we're doing preschool this year), a Bible verse that we'll be working on, weather, and such.  I'd love to hear what you use!  Pictures are great too!  Thanks

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I need a nap as I am just getting over pneumonia, so I will come back to this later.  I have stuff like tha.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I do! It's under construction as we get used to the new year. We do the date, find our city on a map of the US, then we find a different state. Then, we try to remember the other states we have already learned. We have a world map on the wall and we practice the continents. I added an ABC line for my new PreKer and I want to do some sight words as we progress. I am thinking of maybe adding a few other things but we ease into everything so as to not shock the system.LOL

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Mobile Photo

I got this at lake sure learning they have a better one for about 50 dollars last time I went in.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

The things on the back I picked up from an online preschool curriculum place but I don't remember the name. Their curriculum is not great for homeschool though.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Mobile Photo

This I made myself for my preschoolers. I have 2 (4 1/2) and 3. I staple the pictures to it so we can review each day. Then at the end of the week I will use my staple remover. I think the board was a dollar or 2 and the kids love it.
AmyMamie
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

My son is in kindergarten this year, so our morning board has the letter of the week, the scripture of the week that we'll memorize, a poem to match the letter of the week ("The Apple Tree" for letter A), my son's name, phone # and address to learn, a calendar of the month where he crosses off the days, and finally, the day of the week.  It's been great for our Circle Time each morning.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM
3 moms liked this

Yes, we just started it three days ago.   I found an idea on pinterest, and we use it in combination with a Calendar Notebook. 

It works well.. .I like it.   The idea on pinterest used rings (like key rings that hing open are easiest, teacher supply store had them)..  

We have on it....  

A word wall (4-5 high frequency words) that we change every week or two when she learns them, 

shape flash cards including more advanced shapes and 3D shapes (we aren't working on ALL of them all at once, though) 

A laminated "jar" that is where we record our daily counting jar.   I do extra things with the counting jar, though, like using the items to make patterns, sorting, grouping, adding two groups, etc...

A spot where we "make the date in money"   Right now, she only has pennies.   We use real money with velcro dots.  I velcroed 31 pennies because she knows very little about money, we are sticking with single units right now.  I used strips of velcro for her to hang the pennies on... like 14 pennies on the 14th.

We also have our days in school chart.  It's harder to describe, but I have cups hanging for the 1's, 10's, and hundreds place... she puts pipe cleaners into the cups for each day... when we get 10 days, we will rubber band them together and move them into the 10's cup.     You might want to pinterest the calendar board, or go look for my  older post from a few days ago, I have a link to a really nice one on there.  

There are some calendar and days of school activities in our Notebook too, like coloring in one cube for each day and trying to count how many days left until our 100th day.

We have the date on flip charts, and the day...  use this in all our Calendar related activities.

I have some cards hanging on there to learn and review her Junior Bible Quiz questions.  

I have another set of flash cards of the Word Wall Words, because only the 4-5 we are currently working on are actually on the "wall" of the board.   I drew a stone background and laminated it.   The words are just cut out of index cards and then sticky tacked onto the laminated stone wall.   The flashcards will contain all of the Words we have learned and are learning.

Of course, we are doing the weather every day, and a clock face with removable sticky tacked hands.   We are doing a graph of the weather in our Calendar notebook for each month.

I blocked off a strip on the side for all of the extra supplies...

Other ideas for calendar notebook is to have them write the date, write the date another way...(like 01/01/14).   They can write the day after and the day before... ten days after and ten days before....  the time, the hour after and before.... we also have a sheet that has each month in a square on the page.  We are learning about tally marks by "tallying" the days we hold school in each month.

lotof2
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

That sounds amazing!!  I love all of the things you included - very similar to what I was hoping to work out for our family:)  Thank you for sharing such great ideas!!  I'm going to check out your earlier posts and hopefully will find a picture:) 

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes, we just started it three days ago.   I found an idea on pinterest, and we use it in combination with a Calendar Notebook. 

It works well.. .I like it.   The idea on pinterest used rings (like key rings that hing open are easiest, teacher supply store had them)..  

We have on it....  

A word wall (4-5 high frequency words) that we change every week or two when she learns them, 

shape flash cards including more advanced shapes and 3D shapes (we aren't working on ALL of them all at once, though) 

A laminated "jar" that is where we record our daily counting jar.   I do extra things with the counting jar, though, like using the items to make patterns, sorting, grouping, adding two groups, etc...

A spot where we "make the date in money"   Right now, she only has pennies.   We use real money with velcro dots.  I velcroed 31 pennies because she knows very little about money, we are sticking with single units right now.  I used strips of velcro for her to hang the pennies on... like 14 pennies on the 14th.

We also have our days in school chart.  It's harder to describe, but I have cups hanging for the 1's, 10's, and hundreds place... she puts pipe cleaners into the cups for each day... when we get 10 days, we will rubber band them together and move them into the 10's cup.     You might want to pinterest the calendar board, or go look for my  older post from a few days ago, I have a link to a really nice one on there.  

There are some calendar and days of school activities in our Notebook too, like coloring in one cube for each day and trying to count how many days left until our 100th day.

We have the date on flip charts, and the day...  use this in all our Calendar related activities.

I have some cards hanging on there to learn and review her Junior Bible Quiz questions.  

I have another set of flash cards of the Word Wall Words, because only the 4-5 we are currently working on are actually on the "wall" of the board.   I drew a stone background and laminated it.   The words are just cut out of index cards and then sticky tacked onto the laminated stone wall.   The flashcards will contain all of the Words we have learned and are learning.

Of course, we are doing the weather every day, and a clock face with removable sticky tacked hands.   We are doing a graph of the weather in our Calendar notebook for each month.

I blocked off a strip on the side for all of the extra supplies...

Other ideas for calendar notebook is to have them write the date, write the date another way...(like 01/01/14).   They can write the day after and the day before... ten days after and ten days before....  the time, the hour after and before.... we also have a sheet that has each month in a square on the page.  We are learning about tally marks by "tallying" the days we hold school in each month.

lotof2
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Thanks for sharing this - so colorful:) 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Mobile Photo

The things on the back I picked up from an online preschool curriculum place but I don't remember the name. Their curriculum is not great for homeschool though.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Your welcome.  My kids love it and it doubles as a white board on the back. 

Quoting lotof2:

Thanks for sharing this - so colorful:) 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)