Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I love teaching my autistic son =)

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
  • 14 Replies
3 moms liked this

My son wasn't given the same opportunity in public school. They taught him how to read using a lot of picture symbols and when I took that symbols away...he's lost. He's only 2 years old when he learned the alphabets and numbers by himself.. when he's  4 he's already reading simple words but when he entered school... he seems to stop learning but just following... he's like a puppet molding him like everybody else. They taught him how to use the calculator to add simple math problems probably because they think he can't do it and it is easier but it's not.

I am so happy he's back! In few months I've been teaching him non-stop until now. I can see that he's more confident in reading, math (no calculator LOL) and writing. He's been talking more and happy. When I registered him last week for services like Speech therapy and Adapted Physical Education from his old school, he doesn't want to come out from the car. He said, he wants to be homeschooled, and I explained that it's only for ST and APE and he smiled. He knows that I will wait for him until he's done. 

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great! I am a firm believer that children on the Autism Spectrum do so much better at home being homeschooled then in the PS because in the PS it is all about there limitations & at home you work to their strengths!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so awesome.  As I read your story, it reminds me of this autistic child

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I work with kids with Autism and I love working to their strengths and helping them strengthen their "deficits" as well (we call them deficits, it's really just areas where they could improve and it will help their overall lives to improve upon those things). I hate trying to make all kids fit this ps mold, it takes so much uniqueness away from every child when we try to make them fit the idea...

I'm so excited for you and for your son, you are both very lucky to have each other :)
Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Yay!!!
QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Remember you're not alone!
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes! This is so true for my son.

Quoting usmom3:

That's great! I am a firm believer that children on the Autism Spectrum do so much better at home being homeschooled then in the PS because in the PS it is all about there limitations & at home you work to their strengths!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Mobile Photo

This is the proof. Before and after I homeschool him.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

For reading, I have to start him with HOP K and he finished the 2 levels in 2 months. We are going to start HOP 1st Grade tomorrow. He's reading A beka books, leapfrog tag books and etc.. with excitement. I will not trade that for the world. He may be behind but I have my whole life to teach him.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Thanks. I am just very happy with his progress. Thought I should share. I started partial homeschooling and it helps a lot because he's so well adjusted to our schedule now. Our first day was last Monday.

Quoting usmom3:

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I am glad I joined this group. This is where I got my strength to homeschool him full time.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Remember you're not alone!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)