Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Woot! Missie got a perfect on her quiz! Let's celebrate the triumphs in here!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 19 Replies
3 moms liked this
8) So happy the evil Distributive Property section went better than expected. I feel like I should get a gold star, too!
Where have you guys made some triumphs this week? Tell us even if it is just convincing your toddler to flush. 8)
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM
2 moms liked this

We finished the SCANTRON test for my 6 year old.  I think she did well but we will not know for a few weeks I think. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I got a load of laundry done..does that count? LOL

Boy brag....both of.my boys are requesting Scoumaster conferences in Boy Scouts tonight. Meaning they both finished all their requirements for their next ranks. DS1 will be Life Scout and DS2 for Second class!
oredeb
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:43 PM
1 mom liked this

for everyone with triumphs!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 15, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My 10 yr old is asking to learn algebra! And she is even understanding some of it too.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My dd (age 4) read the first lesson in her McGuffey reader!! (Eclectic Primer)
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I planned the first 13 weeks of school!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

DS did his Math today without whining or procrastinating!  LOL, yes that is huge for me right now.  And this is a kid who LOVES math!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

*High five* To both of you!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My son spelled so many words on his own today. It was the most fluid writing he's done to date :-)

Kumbaya
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Tomorrow will mark our weeklong use of the k12.com curriculum for Second Grade.  And we adore it because it is structured well enough that I don't have to reinvent the wheel and craft every little thing myself - but there's still room to supplement here and there with what I find in the Mailbox Superbook, Pinterest, and the various brick and mortar teacher blogs I follow.  Last year for First Grade, we did about 35 to 45 minutes of Spelling (as per the "Treasures" reading series from McGraw-Hill that my daughter was introduced to in public preschool, and which I felt the need to replicate at home with the online version, printing everything out instead of buying the expensive books that only a public school system could afford).  With k12, we check Spelling off the list after 15 minutes.  I think they have a strong methodology that is not too repetitive, nor is it rushed.  With the much-complained about by public school teachers across the land "Treasures" reading series, Spelling was forever long.  And I only have one kid!  I can't imagine how anybody does that with a classroom of 20 or more children.  From what I read on those brick and mortar teacher message boards, it is like a Spelling buffet.  You just pick and choose what will work for you, and then hope for the best.  However, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, so we were greedy for Spelling.  Haha....  Just kidding.  We were not, in fact, greedy. I was just scared, being a first-time Home Educator, that I would mess up my daughter's education.

Anyhoo, I didn't mess up her schooling.  We are feeling very satisfied with ourselves, and with the k12 curriculum :)  This year is much less stressful, and feels like we have made progress in one of the most difficult areas of all - letting go of perfectionism, fear, and learning to be adaptable and just go with the flow - even if it means using curriculum "out of the box" that requires that we "check in" with a teacher as part of a larger system.  It works for us, and that is all that matters :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN