Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School starts tomorrow and I don't have any idea what order to do things!

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 7 Replies
I am using memoria press for kindergarten this year. My dd just turned 5 yesterday and we are starting school tomorrow (Friday). I just realized I have no idea what order to do things. What to do first thing in the morning? Do you take breaks after a certain amount of time?
Thank you!
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
almondpigeon
by Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM

with my kindergartener, i just let him choose what order we do things.  "okay, buddy, today we have some math, handwriting and reading...which do you want to do do first".  i have more of a set schedule for the 2nd grader, but my main objective is to keep my rowdy 4 yo interested.  it's working so far :)

blueyedbaker
by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We started in 3rd grade with my older one and first grade with my youngest. I went at their pace. When I noticed them start to get edgy or annoyed with something we took a break or switched subjects.

Every day is different but one thing I make sure they do first is their journal other wise if we left it for later by the time they got to it later they wouldn't want to write anymore. My oldest likes to do Science next and then any other subject but likes to leave math for last. My youngest doesn't care what she does after her journal. 

I'd say try to notice the warning signs of frustration and cut it off other wise they might relate that to the subject and not want to do it anymore. That's what I think anyways and it works for us. We work for an hour do gym work another hour then lunch then back to work for an hour or so. Just be flexible and don't get to frustrated if you don't fit everything in that day. You'll find out what works best for you and your child. That's the best part of HSing you can go at any pace you want. Good luck tomorrow!

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I let DS pick the order of how we do things.  As long as we get it all done, I don't care how we do it.  He likes to switch up the order.  We take breaks between things, usually a short 15 min one and then longer ones for lunch.  As long as Math is done before 2pm we are good.  Found out that doing Math at night is NOT an option.  LOL

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM

I plan to let my kids pick what order they want to do things.  I figure it will work itself into a routine after a while.

I would plan lots of breaks for a kindergartener-I worked in kindergarten for the past 5 years and they need lots of time to wiggle!  So I would probably start by working like 20-30 min then taking at least a stretch break.  Or let her move while you read to her or something if she needs to.  My 10 yo still has to move a lot, it's going to be hard for me but a big goal of mine is to let her move as much as she needs to.

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 8:50 PM

It's all up to you and her on what preferences you guys have.  You could jump right into work, or go for a morning walk and sing the alphabet, vowel sounds, or math facts while you're walking. 

When the kids were little I started the mornings slow and we did a circle time.  It basically covered the months, days of the week, and weather.  Here's a really old pic' of my son during one of our morning routines back then.  Man time sure does fly by fast... I miss those chubby cheeks!

All of my kids are older now, so our morning routine is basically getting up, getting ready and doing school until it's done.

When they were little I made sure the breaks happened to where they had at least 15 minutes between subjects to get their wiggles out.  My kids work independently now, so I have noticed most of them prefer to work non-stop until they're done, which I don't mind as long as the work is done correctly.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I like letting them choose, too.   However, my current kindy is very ahem controlling and argumentative and will just play games of switching her mind back and forth.   If I let her choose, I'd probably end up duct taping her to the ceiling.   She also responds better with routine.   I also have two other kids to teach and a 14 month old.   Not only does SHE need the routine.. but our family does.

With her, I do her morning board and morning note book immediately after our morning routine.   Then she gets time on time4learning.com while I work with Math and language arts with the big kids.   I spend time with baby when needed and then we make lunch.

After lunch is nap time, and that's when we pull out our Apologia sciences (we are doing two this year).   My kindy will do this hit and miss with us plus work on some fine motor skill projects while we are doing read alouds (cutting, pasting, beading, lacing, tracing pictures with tracing paper, etc...)

After school my older two work on anything they haven't finished.   We go for walks, bike rides, run errands, etc.  Sometimes play educational board games, watch documentaries, and sometimes I blow off a subject or two for the day.

So, yes, we have a routine and this is what works for my family.    

I know when my older two were younger, I found that they responded best in the mornings with Math, Handwriting, and grammar in the AM.   Then the more "interesting" subjects later.   They were fresher for math in the mornings and if math was later, then they would dawdle terribly.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Oh and about breaks and wiggle time, I have several poems and songs that have lots of movement to them.   If she's losing focus or struggling with something tough, we stop and be silly for 2-4 minutes and then hop back onto what we need to get done or move onto something else... whatever she seems to need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)