Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't care what the doctors say. He is Not autistic! *Vent*

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 23 Replies

I told my dad about our trip to the dentist and complained that sometimes autism is a pain in the butt. He just shook his head and said my (8 year old) son is "all boy" and there's nothing wrong with him.

Sigh...he hid underneath the chairs at the dentist office. When we got called, I had to drag him out and carry him all the way to the back office. Then he proceeded to slide to the floor, take off his shoes and throw them in the hallway. I managed to catch his shoes and him before he escaped. The exam went well but when we changed rooms, he bear walked on his hands and feet all the way there. If you can't tell, he doesn't like the dentist,LOL.

We're hopeful though. He only has two cavites and this is the first time we're attempting to have his teeth worked on with him awake. They'll be using laughing gas. *Fingers crossed* this works.

by on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

My father is in total denial for some reason...

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM
Autism seems so new to many and there are just such a wide range of what to expect.

Dh took my 3 yr old for the first time today. He.has a lot of cavities....i was.shocked!! I have been trying to be good about cleaning his teeth really well. Well, he has.definitely one that needs work.and they are talking about putting him under. I dont know if I am.comfortable with that :( this dentist has been.great with our other kids though

Quoting paganbaby:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I agree.

Well, for me I like to use sedation as a last resort. My oldest dd had her teeth capped at 3 with laughing gas and she did great. My son couldn't handle it at that age and needed to be sedated. It just depends on the kid.

And I know what you mean about the teeth! Baby boy has terrible teeth. I can blame that on genetics. So we just have to work extra hard.

Quoting Precious333:

Autism seems so new to many and there are just such a wide range of what to expect.

Dh took my 3 yr old for the first time today. He.has a lot of cavities....i was.shocked!! I have been trying to be good about cleaning his teeth really well. Well, he has.definitely one that needs work.and they are talking about putting him under. I dont know if I am.comfortable with that :( this dentist has been.great with our other kids though

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:15 PM
I have to apologize first as I got a good chuckle reading about your son's behavior at the dentist's office. I was the exact same way when I was little. When I was 3, I had to have several teeth pulled at different times but my first experience was a tragic day for me. So after that, the darned dentist had to come to the house to pull the rest of my teeth. And you know what? I need to go to the dentist again! Another tooth needs pulled but I am just too darned scared to get it done. Guess I am just going to have to wait until the pain is too much to bear and then go. Gah! lol
Maybe if I pretend I don't have any pain, it will go away? Lordy I sure hope so.
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM

We have dealt with family members saying that our oldest isn't Autistic just a brat! I feel you!

You might be interested in reading this How I Healed My Child’s Cavity

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Just tell Dad that you will agree to disagree...or ask him to take him next time.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:36 PM

8(

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:13 AM

It was pretty funny in hindsight. You should have seen the looks I got. I'm used to it though. And the X-ray tech was AWESOME.

Poor baby! Did they give you any type of anesthesia? Three is awefully young to go with just Novocaine.

Quoting kirbymom:

I have to apologize first as I got a good chuckle reading about your son's behavior at the dentist's office. I was the exact same way when I was little. When I was 3, I had to have several teeth pulled at different times but my first experience was a tragic day for me. So after that, the darned dentist had to come to the house to pull the rest of my teeth. And you know what? I need to go to the dentist again! Another tooth needs pulled but I am just too darned scared to get it done. Guess I am just going to have to wait until the pain is too much to bear and then go. Gah! lol
Maybe if I pretend I don't have any pain, it will go away? Lordy I sure hope so.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:19 AM

No freakin way...

You know we used to give the kids fish oil every morning but I got lazy about. Now I'm buying some tomorrow! I hope bubba will still take it :-/ His eating habits have deteriorated some... I'm going to have add vitamins again.

Quoting usmom3:

We have dealt with family members saying that our oldest isn't Autistic just a brat! I feel you!

You might be interested in reading this How I Healed My Child’s Cavity

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I just might do that LOL

Quoting KrissyKC:

Just tell Dad that you will agree to disagree...or ask him to take him next time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN