Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Shop class

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM
  • 6 Replies
1 mom liked this

My step-dad and his family are very into racing.  He and my mom have only been together a little over 2 years, so I didn't grow up around this enviornment.  We talked with him and his dad and have decided to have my son go over and learn what he can from them about cars, welding, etc,  It will literally be a "shop" class.  This evening my DH and Travis went over for a little under two hours.  In that time T learned how to take off and put on tires, and how to use an air gun to do it.  (Last time he had to do it by hand).  When I went to pick them up, this is what I found:

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
That's really cool!
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That is awesome!  What a great class.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
That is amazing! I think doing a shop class is an awesome idea! Great thinking. There are so many things you could tie into this as well. :)
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Fantastic!

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:31 PM

thats so great, hes gona have fun, learn lots of stuff, its so neat to see your kids working on cars!! do you go to the races pukalani? i love the pictures!!!!

, when our kids were young we were a racing family,(southern oregon speedway) kids grew up with it, rebuilding race cars,(we did it as a family, even the girls) we even had the fastest street car in the quarter mile for a bit(theres always someone faster!!). we were always working on something, we loved it, kids learn so much doing this kinda things, and its fun!!! nothing like the smell of nitro!!!hahahahahaha  even now we have a 13 second car , but dh doesnt race it.  the stock car races are so fun! and scary, i hate it when they crash,

and when i was young we did stock cars, you get to know just by listening to the sound of an engine whats wrong with it.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I didn't grow up with the races.  Actually Saturday at the Speedway was my first one.  It was a lot of fun! My step dad's car broke while he was doing practice laps, so the boys didn't get to go down to the pit but they had fun anyway.  They had Travis timing one of the cars each lap, so he was feeling pretty important.  :) Today's he over helping to clean all the mud off so they can see what needs to be done to fix whatever it was that broke.

When I was given my first car, my grandfather would not give me the keys until I could prove to him that I could change a tire, check the oil levels, and put on chains.  I have had to do those things many times throughout the years and I so grateful for those lessons. 

Quoting oredeb:

thats so great, hes gona have fun, learn lots of stuff, its so neat to see your kids working on cars!! do you go to the races pukalani? i love the pictures!!!!

, when our kids were young we were a racing family,(southern oregon speedway) kids grew up with it, rebuilding race cars,(we did it as a family, even the girls) we even had the fastest street car in the quarter mile for a bit(theres always someone faster!!). we were always working on something, we loved it, kids learn so much doing this kinda things, and its fun!!! nothing like the smell of nitro!!!hahahahahaha  even now we have a 13 second car , but dh doesnt race it.  the stock car races are so fun! and scary, i hate it when they crash,

and when i was young we did stock cars, you get to know just by listening to the sound of an engine whats wrong with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN