Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thinking of using Apologia

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
  • 32 Replies
We bought Christian Liberty's full 2nd grade curriculum because I like the boxed curriculum, cost and content. I'm really thinking of getting the Apologia Astronomy though. I really like the way the Christian Liberty science is laid out for this grade (studies Creation) but my son is really interested in the solar system as well. Could we do both or would it be too much? And can anyone give me feedback on the Astronomy for a child in 2nd grade? Thanks :)
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
First of all, I don't use any of the boxed, bought curriculums. Secondly, in my humble opinion, if he wants to learn it alongside his other work and you can afford to buy it without the cost coming back to bite you in the butt, then I say go for it. You don't know a child's potential if you don't try. He could surprise you and excel with more. You just don't know until you try.
BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Apologia offers two different notebooks, the Junior one is for children k-3.  We are also planning on using the Astronomy this year for our Kindergartner and 2nd grader. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

We used it last year.  We didn't make it all the way through, so we'll probably use parts of it this year as well, just for a change of pace.  There is a lot of information.  So be careful that you're not overwhelmed.  There is a notebook that goes with it, and I'm going to try that for Anatomoy this year, to see if I can't help my younger ones get more out of it.  I really like the series, and would recommend it.

AFMamaButterfly
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

We used Apologia for my son when he was 2nd grade. Loved it!! I definitely recommend the Jr. Notebook. We all learned so much and had so much fun. Even my preschooler (at the time) learned by listening in. You could easily do it as an added in thing. You can set the pace on it. We did Botany for kindergarten and ended up taking about a year and a half for that (I was figuring out homeschooling back then). It wasn't a big deal. We are now halfway through Zoology 1. Apologia is absolutely awesome science curriculum!

Britty1987
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 3:59 PM
I was thinking of using the Astronomy as the main science and maybe using the Christian Liberty science just as a reader.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that the Apologia series is too saturated with religion (someone had told me it barely had any religion in it and that I could edit it out easily - not true!).

I think that the (elementary) Apologia is boring much of the time and makes it more complex than what little kids need science to be. 

Personally, I would only buy the notebooking journal. It is nicely done and would work well as a guide of sorts. You could even make a list of the table of contents to use as a guide. I would get books from the library (and any other resources) to allow the child to explore the topic. Filling in the notebook as you were coming across the information. It lists all the projects in the notebook as well. 

tattoo ~my blogs

Homeschooler by day  ★Links   ★Mamta

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't started it yet because we are still laying down new routines and pick up on our school work slowly in the beginning of the year.   I'm also still gathering supplies.   We bought BOTH Astronomy and Anatomy to do this year just because my kids liked them both and wanted to do them both.

Anyway, they look awesome and fun.   I totally think you can do it with your 2nd grader.   If he's slightly advanced on reading and writing, then go with the regular notebook.   If he's slower at writing then go with the junior notebook.   You might always decide to do it again in 8th grade and go with the older notebook then.

My current kindy is not advanced at all and she will be working with the junior notebook while we do ours.  It actually is a little advanced for her in some areas.   There is copywork and such included and you can pick either the cursive or the standard block print... they have both to choose from.

However, there are quite a few "supplies" recommended for all of the hands on and projects assigned...  Astronomy less than Anatomy.   You don't have to do all of it unless you want to, but it's such fun and hands-on learning that I am striving to do pretty much all of them.   

I've looked over anatomy more, but if you have any specific questions, I could get out my books and flip through them.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Yes, it's very much a Christian curriculum.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I think that the Apologia series is too saturated with religion (someone had told me it barely had any religion in it and that I could edit it out easily - not true!).

I think that the (elementary) Apologia is boring much of the time and makes it more complex than what little kids need science to be. 

Personally, I would only buy the notebooking journal. It is nicely done and would work well as a guide of sorts. You could even make a list of the table of contents to use as a guide. I would get books from the library (and any other resources) to allow the child to explore the topic. Filling in the notebook as you were coming across the information. It lists all the projects in the notebook as well. 

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I looked at EVERY page of the Botany notebooks (regular vs jr) and the differences were VERY minor. 90% of the material is the same.

Jr had coloring pages - other one had more crossword puzzles.

Jr had some handwriting / copywork pages - the other one had more indepth writing assignments. 

tattoo ~my blogs

Homeschooler by day  ★Links   ★Mamta

Britty1987
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

I haven't started it yet because we are still laying down new routines and pick up on our school work slowly in the beginning of the year.   I'm also still gathering supplies.   We bought BOTH Astronomy and Anatomy to do this year just because my kids liked them both and wanted to do them both.

Anyway, they look awesome and fun.   I totally think you can do it with your 2nd grader.   If he's slightly advanced on reading and writing, then go with the regular notebook.   If he's slower at writing then go with the junior notebook.   You might always decide to do it again in 8th grade and go with the older notebook then.

My current kindy is not advanced at all and she will be working with the junior notebook while we do ours.  It actually is a little advanced for her in some areas.   There is copywork and such included and you can pick either the cursive or the standard block print... they have both to choose from.

However, there are quite a few "supplies" recommended for all of the hands on and projects assigned...  Astronomy less than Anatomy.   You don't have to do all of it unless you want to, but it's such fun and hands-on learning that I am striving to do pretty much all of them.   

I've looked over anatomy more, but if you have any specific questions, I could get out my books and flip through them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)