Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

so stinking behind!!!

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 16 Replies
1 mom liked this

My dd is in the first grade and it took us awhile to figure out what worked for her. It was not tell December that we found something she liked and clicked with. I feel horrible because everybody is on to the new grades and she is still in first grade. where is she was in normal ps she would be moving on to the second grade. I think I really need to take a step back wards and realize that we are not a tradition school here. Am I hurting her by having it this way I have this unnecessary urge to just spend all day doing school so she can move on with her age level. I also want to make sure she knows the material really good. I am so outta sorts here I feel like I'm doing her a disservice with her so behind.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I would try not to worry about it at this point. But I would also look at some things, if she has mastered something and is bored with it then just move on, don't make her do everything in the curriculum if she doesn't need it. That's just my opinion though, I don't have a ton of experience here.
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

She might be behind now but in a few years she might be ahead. As long as she is learning & progressing then that is all that should matter.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Both posters are right on the money here.
Is she learning?
Does she know the material?
If she is a yes to both, then what you might want to look into doing is finding some work that is ahead of her grade and see if she can learn it. You do not have to teach to exact grade levels. Teach to what she can do and learn and be challenged by. I guarantee that she will show you what she is capable of learning. Then you will be able to teach her what she Needs to learn and not keep going over concepts that do not apply to the here and now.

undefined

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Here's what I have come to realize (it took me a few years to get this through my head): you are not behind.  The point of homeschooling is (in part) to ensure that your child has the best possible education.  That means going at their pace.  That means that sometimes you follow those rabbit trails and see where they lead.  It means that you are probably not going to stick to a strict schedule because sometimes learning opportunites sneak up and take up the whole day...or week.  It's okay.  Your daughter is learning.  If she's not where everyone says she should be, it's okay.  I think sometimes we do a disservice (sp?) to our kids by pushing them to be ahead just because they can, rather than taking the time to explore and learn about things that interest them at their own pace.  Sometimes that pace is taking them way ahead, but sometimes it's going at a little bit slower pace.  And it's okay.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Here in Missouri, you don't even have to start educating them until they are 7... some people believe that slowing down in the first couple years is better anyway.   

Celebrate that you found something she enjoys and learns from.   If you find some of it easy, and you want to bring her back up to "grade level"... then skip the stuff that's easy.   Also, don't feel pressured to do all of it, learn all of it, or even have to finish it.

Next, relax and don't "feel" behind.   If you feel behind, you are going to feel like you are having to push and rush to catch up.   This feeling will bleed over into your actions, words, and the way you run things and it WILL add stress to your schooling.

Unless you just feel she has some learning disabilities or SERIOUS delinquencies, let it go and enjoy your year.

When she is older, it really will only matter what her four years of highschool were like because you only provide transcripts of their high school studies to the colleges and such.    

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

My son just started in 3rd grade. At Christmas, he was reading MAYBE at a low first grade level. As of the beginning of this month he is reading just a little above 3rd grade level. With some kids, it is feast or famine. Can you honestly say she hasn't learned ANYTHING? Is there not some things that she can do better than her peers or knows more about. Maybe it's something in Science, maybe she can bake a mean cookie. The point is- She hasn't wasted her life. 8) Don't sweat her grade level too much. She'll fly soon enough.

Maridel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I felt that way about Math for awhile. Took us awhile to find the right program so while she's on second grade level for everything else, she's like mid first grade for math. It only worried me a bit because if I had to put her in school she would struggle with math, but since that's definitely not happening, at least not this year, I figure we have time to catch up. One of the perks of homeschooling is going at your childs pace. No worries, she'll catch up on her own time!

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:13 AM

You did a good job recognizing the red flag right away. Levels are not that important when you are homeschooling. Make sure you cover the 3 R's. The rest will just follow. My son is in 6th Grade with autism and this is my first time homeschooling him but started partial homeschooling on weekends and holidays before.

I have mixed curriculum ranging from Kindergarten to 6th Grade. This is probably our most expensive school year but the MOST productive one.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I feel you. This is my first year traditionally hsing my son. He's 8 and "should" be in the third grade but his reading is more like 1st and his math skills are late 2nd. I just threw away the whole grading system and gave him work that he's comfortable with. Right now we're working on his confidence; PS really did a number on him :-( And later I'll add i more challenging work. But as long as he's progressing, I'm good.

tinkerspell
by Kera on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:05 PM

thank im actually really curious how you get your little boy to the table to learn. my son who is also diagnosed pdd wont sit at the table but is still learning somehow and he wont show me but when we go to therapys they see so frustrating 

Quoting mommy4lyf:

You did a good job recognizing the red flag right away. Levels are not that important when you are homeschooling. Make sure you cover the 3 R's. The rest will just follow. My son is in 6th Grade with autism and this is my first time homeschooling him but started partial homeschooling on weekends and holidays before.

I have mixed curriculum ranging from Kindergarten to 6th Grade. This is probably our most expensive school year but the MOST productive one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)