Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My dd is in the first grade and it took us awhile to figure out what worked for her. It was not tell December that we found something she liked and clicked with. I feel horrible because everybody is on to the new grades and she is still in first grade. where is she was in normal ps she would be moving on to the second grade. I think I really need to take a step back wards and realize that we are not a tradition school here. Am I hurting her by having it this way I have this unnecessary urge to just spend all day doing school so she can move on with her age level. I also want to make sure she knows the material really good. I am so outta sorts here I feel like I'm doing her a disservice with her so behind.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Replies (11-16):
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM
I know that homeschooling is the only option for him. It was very hard when I first started. It wasn't full time. I only teach him on weekends and holidays at first. He hated it at first and I remember posting here asking for advice since he wants to go to school.

We decided to pull him out from extended school year and focus on homeschooling. After a month my son doesn't want to go back to school anymore and his attention improved a lot as well.

I also started teaching him in kitchen table and it was okay but he was tempted to get up and look for food in the pantry. My husband converted our small room downstairs into a small classroom. There he was able to focus more and now he knows how to follow the schedule. One break in the morning before lunch and one in the afternoon and he's happy.

Quoting tinkerspell:

thank im actually really curious how you get your little boy to the table to learn. my son who is also diagnosed pdd wont sit at the table but is still learning somehow and he wont show me but when we go to therapys they see so frustrating 

Quoting mommy4lyf:

You did a good job recognizing the red flag right away. Levels are not that important when you are homeschooling. Make sure you cover the 3 R's. The rest will just follow. My son is in 6th Grade with autism and this is my first time homeschooling him but started partial homeschooling on weekends and holidays before.

I have mixed curriculum ranging from Kindergarten to 6th Grade. This is probably our most expensive school year but the MOST productive one.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I've been feeling that way with my oldest who is going into 4th this year. She is right on or way ahead in math and science areas, but in reading and writing, she is very much so behind. We did do occupational therapy with her to make sure she wasn't dyslexic or dysgraphic, and those were ruled out, but she was/is having some issues still and we've been working hard all summer to get her from a low 1st grade reading level up to a mid 3rd grade one. We're still "behind" but I know she's still learning and making progress at her level, and thats all I'm focusing on.
Now that you have something that is working, I'm sure you'll be amazed at how quickly you can fly through parts of it, and she'll be "caught up" in no time!
It does get hard and discouraging when the neighbor's daughter who is also homeschooled is reading way above grade level and mine is still struggling, but mine is waaaay ahead in science in comparison, to not just the other homeschool family, but the ps school neighbors too.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids are anywhere from two grades behind to four grades ahead on stuff.  

It's all good!!!

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:00 PM

This!!

Quoting usmom3:

She might be behind now but in a few years she might be ahead. As long as she is learning & progressing then that is all that should matter.

tinkerspell
by Kera on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

These are all great thank you guys for all the support you guys are awsome.

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:22 AM

once you find something thats gona work, i bet she will take off on it, you dont need to follow a traditional school year where you only advance grades each year, you can advance when ever you feel shes ready, thats one reason we homeschool, teaching our kids and advancing them when they are ready!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)