Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

when do you start your day?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: When do you start your day?

Options:

before 8am

between 8-9

between 9-10

after 10

when ever we get up

every day is different

purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

Just wondering when you start your day...

I am thinking of not starting till 9 or even later but my family says I have to follow the same time line as public schools so 830-230

so wondering what other people do.

by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM
3 moms liked this

One of the best parts about homeschooling is that you pick the times you do it, so your family is wrong. I voted purple fuzzy unicorns because we unschool so there is never a true starting pointthat is a fixed time! FYI don't get advice or information from a non-homeschooler because they will be wrong 99.9% of the time.

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 16, 2013 at 7:59 PM

No exact time... but we start pretty much between 8:30-9:00 am. It depends on his mood.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Quoting usmom3:

One of the best parts about homeschooling is that you pick the times you do it, so your family is wrong. I voted purple fuzzy unicorns because we unschool so there is never a true starting pointthat is a fixed time! FYI don't get advice or information from a non-homeschooler because they will be wrong 99.9% of the time.

ohh i know I could (and would) start at any time...just wondering what other people said...my family is against me homeschooling...but I am doing it!

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting usmom3:

ohh i know I could (and would) start at any time...just wondering what other people said...my family is against me homeschooling...but I am doing it!

I think that it is great that you are still wanting to do it even with your family not supporting you! It takes great courage to goagainst what the voices around us say to do! You will always have a sympathetic ear in this group!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I aim to start around 8 this year.

While of course we aren't required to follow the school's schedule, since my eldest will be back in brick and mortar this year, I'd like to follow a similar schedule for my boys at home.

With that said, the only thing YOU need to take into consideration is possibly your state guidelines - some state regs do dictate that you have to "school" for a certain number of hours every day, but I've never seen a reg that specifies what time you must start, lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:49 PM

You can start when ever you want.  8 am just works for my family.  My kids think better in the morning. Oh and even with 4 kids of various ages we only school to noon if that.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 16, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I picked before 8 because I'm usually awake by 5 or 6, the kids wake at about 7/7:30. We don't actually begin school till closer to 9 but it varies. I don't really go by the clock to be honest, more of just when we get our butts in gear. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Our first day of kindergarten was today. We started around 10. I took some first day of school pics, made her eggs for breakfast and we started! I probably won't start much earlier than that. I only HS her on my days off. Otherwise my husband does it 3-4 days a week. He sleeps in so I doubt he will start any earlier than that.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
You definitely do NOT have to follow the ps schedule, that's the joy of hsing :)

On another note, I am so surprised that the majority (so far) starts after 10,lol.

We haven't started yet, but knowing our bodies and the way we are, we will start working around 8:30...but I don't have a set in stone schedule, and I certainly don't intend to work until 2:30 every day...maybe 12:30 lol.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:28 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to do whatever works best for your kids.  Mine have always been night owls, so we used to start later, usually after 10.  The past few months though, they've actually been going to bed around 9:30, which means they're up earlier, so we can start earlier.  Who knows what it will be next year

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN