Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to group, New to homeschooling

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hey moms!

So Im trying homeschooling for the first time this year, but my student is a teen. Im doing GED things with him because I believe that is the best chance for him. He wants to graduate early and get a job and get on his own, so Im going to support him (he is my step son in my custody due to his mom neglecting and abusing him)

I also have a toddler and a newborn so Im hoping this homeschooling works with my teen so I can homeschool my toddler who is already so smart it would be a shame to waste his intelligence in public school. 

Wanted to be around other homeschool moms to get ideas and such! Glad there is a group, i already love CM so this is perfect.

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Way to go girl.  The following free article has a whole section  about homeschooling the high school student (scroll down towards the bottom) .  Pay particular attention to dual enrollment.  How To Home School 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM
3 moms liked this

It's a hard world to get a job now-a-days with just a GED.   You can give him a diploma from your homeschool so that when he marks that box on his job apps he can honestly reply to yes to having a diploma.

For my own, when they get there, I'm going to build them a transcript and create them a diploma I'm considering putting down my "graduation requirements" somewhere so that it just isn't a plain old home made diploma.   Plus there are a myriad of tests they can take.  (PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc... there are several that I'm not overly familiar with yet myself)....  

It was recommended to me to have them take the tests repeatedly.  I believe, for example, the ACT is offered 6? times a year.... one lady said she pushed her daughter into taking it just ONE more time, and the girl scored so high that she got a full scholarship to her college.

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

You're in a right track! Keep it up!

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:45 PM

ITA There is no reason for the OP to label her step-son as a dropout when she can issue him a diploma and transcripts.

Quoting KrissyKC:

It's a hard world to get a job now-a-days with just a GED.   You can give him a diploma from your homeschool so that when he marks that box on his job apps he can honestly reply to yes to having a diploma.

For my own, when they get there, I'm going to build them a transcript and create them a diploma I'm considering putting down my "graduation requirements" somewhere so that it just isn't a plain old home made diploma.   Plus there are a myriad of tests they can take.  (PSAT, SAT, ACT, etc... there are several that I'm not overly familiar with yet myself)....  

It was recommended to me to have them take the tests repeatedly.  I believe, for example, the ACT is offered 6? times a year.... one lady said she pushed her daughter into taking it just ONE more time, and the girl scored so high that she got a full scholarship to her college.

JerrysMom2011
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Nope he wouldnt be considered a drop out but a sucess. He is 80% more likely to be a dropout if I let him stay in public school..with the life and problems he has had with his mother he is 15 and in the "8th grade"......this equals to being way to old to enter in high school and graduate sucessfully. In my area especially. Id rather see him get his GED then to dropout at 9th grade because he got into the wrong crowd etc. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

ITA There is no reason for the OP to label her step-son as a dropout when she can issue him a diploma and transcripts.

Quoting KrissyKC:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No, what we mean is that if you don't go the extra step and make him a diploma and such, then he can technically only mark the GED spot on his job apps... which people will see as drop out instead of as homeschooled.   Many times, they get soooo many apps that something like that will cause them to just toss his out and move onto the next.    THEY will assume he's a drop out.

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

Nope he wouldnt be considered a drop out but a sucess. He is 80% more likely to be a dropout if I let him stay in public school..with the life and problems he has had with his mother he is 15 and in the "8th grade"......this equals to being way to old to enter in high school and graduate sucessfully. In my area especially. Id rather see him get his GED then to dropout at 9th grade because he got into the wrong crowd etc. 

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting KrissyKC:

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

its really easy to do a diploma, you can even print it out at say kinkos or office max and really do it up... include a water mark and everything... even order it with gilded lettering.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

A GED will label him as a drop-out instead of a homeschooler. Colleges and jobs will not take his education as seriously.

Quoting JerrysMom2011:

Quoting sha_lyn68:

Quoting KrissyKC:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that using the GED is a great start. I also think you might want to use the SAT books as well. By using both in conjunction with each other you are more able to strengthen his positives and work on strengthening his weaknesses. My now 17 yr old daughter did the same thing when she was 14-15 and she received an at on the "tests", enough that she could have graduated then as well but we decided that she would benefit from waiting until she was 16 instead. So, you can teach from those books but I would suggest using the Internet and your local library as well to help with the sections that may give you a bit if a difficult time.
And has already been suggested, you can do up your own diploma. Just like a regular ps diploma.
You may want to have him find out from the local colleges if they do the dual enrollment program as well.
You can do this! Just take a deep breath, let it put slowly. One day at a time. One lesson at a time. By the end, you will have digested all that you need to digest.

Life is Education and Education is Life.
JerrysMom2011
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for the support! 

I personally think getting the GED is the perfect step beceause from pervious experience with his father he always has had a hard time finding a job because he was "just homeschooled" a teenager that has graduated early, passed GED and SATs early and is enrolled in college will go alot further in the world then what people think, plus he is a cadet in the Air Force, (they have a homeschool program for aerospace technology). Im glad there is someone out there that took this route! 

Quoting kirbymom:

I think that using the GED is a great start. I also think you might want to use the SAT books as well. By using both in conjunction with each other you are more able to strengthen his positives and work on strengthening his weaknesses. My now 17 yr old daughter did the same thing when she was 14-15 and she received an at on the "tests", enough that she could have graduated then as well but we decided that she would benefit from waiting until she was 16 instead. So, you can teach from those books but I would suggest using the Internet and your local library as well to help with the sections that may give you a bit if a difficult time.
And has already been suggested, you can do up your own diploma. Just like a regular ps diploma.
You may want to have him find out from the local colleges if they do the dual enrollment program as well.
You can do this! Just take a deep breath, let it put slowly. One day at a time. One lesson at a time. By the end, you will have digested all that you need to digest.

Life is Education and Education is Life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN