Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why doesn't he go to regular school?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yesterday we were at the Rec center when a couple of kids approached me and asked why Bubba doesn't go to regular school.

Bubba looked right at them and said, "Because regular school is boring."

Girl "But school is supposed to be boring!" "You just have to do it."

Me "Not they way I do it." "If something is boring then I'm doing it wrong." "Our school is fun."

The kids just looked at me in awe and that made me kinda sad. When did we decide the learning had to be tedious?

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Replies (21-29):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

That's great!

Quoting marrionsmommy:

I always feel bad when ds talks too much about how fun homeschool is and how boring regular school is. Most times im like we do it different , I dont want make kids feel bad because they dont have a choice to homeschool or not you know. Sad when ds says we mad a volcano today or built a metal detector and they say when, he has during school lol and they look shocked. I try to invite the neighboorhood kids to do science with us whenever we can, it gives him a chance to work with others and gives the kids a chance to have fun and learn. Shocking how much fun they can have with a box of baking soda and a bottle of vinegar lol

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Awww!! lol

Quoting Boobah:

My daughters friends are all jealous as well. Julia says "I am so excited to start back to school, but my friends cry when they say they have to go back. I feel bad for them." Her best friend said she is dropping out and coming to our school. Lol. 8 year olds. ;)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Not everything in life is fun ;)

Anything worth doing should at least be interesting. My marriage and motherhood isn't always fun but I can tell you it isn't boring! lol

When I worked it wasn't always fun (usually was interesting though), but it did include a paycheck and a dental plan.  That helped make it fun. :)

There ya go! My kids don't like doing chose but they enjoy the allowance that comes with it,lol.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Me too! It means just a bit more because he has such a hard time socially. I was so proud of him :-)

Quoting Pukalani79:

I love how he was able to hold his own and answer them, even when he's doing something so different. :)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I agree with that. But on the other hand, if something is truly uninteresting to them, I don't see the point of teaching it. They won't retain it and it'll make school a dreaded chore which it absolutely shouldn't be.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'll go out of my way to make something interesting to the children - to a point. They need to realize that only THEY are responsible for making things interesting for themselves, and they'll never get to that point if I always do it for them.

(I can't tell you how much time, energy, and money I put into trying to make history "fun" for my daughter, but the result still stood at the end of the day - she hates history, but for Greek Mythology, and I insist she cover more than that. Nobody likes everything, and I'm cool with that, lol!)

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Anything worth doing should at least be interesting. My marriage and motherhood isn't always fun but I can tell you it isn't boring! lol

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:52 AM

good luck

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

I'm home schooling for the first time ever in my life and using FL Virtual School Online for public school.  I'm hoping that I can make the lessons fun for my little guy.  He's in Kindergarten and I'm more terrified then he is. I think he was more interested in the socialization of being in school then the learning aspect of it.  He's really outgoing and with no older siblings and being new to the area we don't get out and socialize much other then at church once a week.  So wish me luck ladies.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Eh. I disagree that they won't retain it. I never enjoyed math (and didn't find it remotely interesting), but I retained what was necessary - and I'm CERTAINLY glad that nobody said "well, if she doesn't enjoy it, we won't teach it", lol. Frankly, I would have some major resentment if they HAD simply decided not to teach it to the sulk teenager - like I knew better than them at that age, lol. It would have made my life very difficult indeed :P Likewise, I didn't enjoy every book assigned in lit class, nor did I find some of them even remotely interesting - but I still remember reading them and I'm glad (now) to say that I did.

I don't think that disliking one (or even more) subjects in school make school a dreaded chore. I very much enjoyed school, despite not caring for, or finding interesting, a couple of classes. My husband didn't care at all for writing, but LOVED school. Back to the bathroom analogy - just because I dislike cleaning the bathroom, doesn't mean I hate everything about being a homemaker - it simply means I suck it up and take the 30-40 minutes once or twice a week to do that dreaded chore, then I get back to the parts I enjoy :)

Not everything in life is enjoyable, just because it isn't enjoyable doesn't mean it's avoidable (I mean, I would never clean the bathroom if I didn't HAVE to) and I think that is a very, very important life lesson.

Quoting paganbaby:

I agree with that. But on the other hand, if something is truly uninteresting to them, I don't see the point of teaching it. They won't retain it and it'll make school a dreaded chore which it absolutely shouldn't be.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'll go out of my way to make something interesting to the children - to a point. They need to realize that only THEY are responsible for making things interesting for themselves, and they'll never get to that point if I always do it for them.

(I can't tell you how much time, energy, and money I put into trying to make history "fun" for my daughter, but the result still stood at the end of the day - she hates history, but for Greek Mythology, and I insist she cover more than that. Nobody likes everything, and I'm cool with that, lol!)

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I guess you simply had a different experience than me. Everyone I know has told me at one time or another that they did not retain certain school material they found completely uninteresting. My husband has no interest in history so he knows very few facts about it even though he graduated with honors. My mother was forced to read the Hobbit and she can't remember a damn thing about it except they has hairy feet and round doors. Math has held no real interest for me. I know the basics that I use in every day life but that's about it. If it's something that will benefit them in any way, they will have the desire to learn it.

My son for example HATED reading and writing. He knew a few sight words up until a couple months ago but that was it. After three years of being forced to learn to read and write my 8 year old son was illiterate. He simply had no interest. So you know what I did? I stopped. I figured he would learn in his own time and he did! He discovered the joy of writing notes. He found his own motivation and now I'm proud to say, he's writing correct sentences all on his own.

As for the bathroom analogy, you may not enjoy cleaning it but you do enjoy the benefits of a clean bathroom. I don't scrub my roof because it has no appeal to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway. Many times I do unpleasant things because I enjoy the outcome. If a child or an adult for that matter, has a goal in mind, they will go through whatever process necessary, even if it's uninteresting, to achieve that goal. In the end, hard work without a reward at the end, is asinine.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Eh. I disagree that they won't retain it. I never enjoyed math (and didn't find it remotely interesting), but I retained what was necessary - and I'm CERTAINLY glad that nobody said "well, if she doesn't enjoy it, we won't teach it", lol. Frankly, I would have some major resentment if they HAD simply decided not to teach it to the sulk teenager - like I knew better than them at that age, lol. It would have made my life very difficult indeed :P Likewise, I didn't enjoy every book assigned in lit class, nor did I find some of them even remotely interesting - but I still remember reading them and I'm glad (now) to say that I did.

I don't think that disliking one (or even more) subjects in school make school a dreaded chore. I very much enjoyed school, despite not caring for, or finding interesting, a couple of classes. My husband didn't care at all for writing, but LOVED school. Back to the bathroom analogy - just because I dislike cleaning the bathroom, doesn't mean I hate everything about being a homemaker - it simply means I suck it up and take the 30-40 minutes once or twice a week to do that dreaded chore, then I get back to the parts I enjoy :)

Not everything in life is enjoyable, just because it isn't enjoyable doesn't mean it's avoidable (I mean, I would never clean the bathroom if I didn't HAVE to) and I think that is a very, very important life lesson.

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:38 PM

We'll agree to disagree on this one :). I won't shelter my kiddos from unpleasant tasks... not when the possible ramifications could hinder their futures. Neither way is right or wrong, I imagine - we just have different goals in mind, I think.

Quoting paganbaby:

I guess you simply had a different experience than me. Everyone I know has told me at one time or another that they did not retain certain school material they found completely uninteresting. My husband has no interest in history so he knows very few facts about it even though he graduated with honors. My mother was forced to read the Hobbit and she can't remember a damn thing about it except they has hairy feet and round doors. Math has held no real interest for me. I know the basics that I use in every day life but that's about it. If it's something that will benefit them in any way, they will have the desire to learn it.

My son for example HATED reading and writing. He knew a few sight words up until a couple months ago but that was it. After three years of being forced to learn to read and write my 8 year old son was illiterate. He simply had no interest. So you know what I did? I stopped. I figured he would learn in his own time and he did! He discovered the joy of writing notes. He found his own motivation and now I'm proud to say, he's writing correct sentences all on his own.

As for the bathroom analogy, you may not enjoy cleaning it but you do enjoy the benefits of a clean bathroom. I don't scrub my roof because it has no appeal to me and doesn't benefit me in anyway. Many times I do unpleasant things because I enjoy the outcome. If a child or an adult for that matter, has a goal in mind, they will go through whatever process necessary, even if it's uninteresting, to achieve that goal. In the end, hard work without a reward at the end, is asinine.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)