Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Opinions, Ideas?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 41 Replies
What is, in your opinion, the best, ideal age, to start schooling?

At what age would you start if you had complete freedom from the "statutes" of your state?

undefined

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I honestly don't know.  I do think it is an individual thing.  Some kids are good with starting at an earlier age and some do better at a latter age. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM
We now do kinder at 6, so formal school at 7 - first grade. That is when I believe they are ready to gently begin academics in a natural, fun way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Without pressure from anyone? 7 or 8.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I honestly think it depends on the individual child. I have had one that was ready at 3 and one that still has days at 8. lol plus one who is coming up behind them who is 2 and i'm not sure how she is going to go.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I don't really care to dictate that for others. We start formal academics at 4.
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I don't really know. My autistic son is 11 year old and it took me couple months to get him into homeschooling. I am not sure if  it will work if I started when he was younger. He doesn't have that focus yet. The answer is obviously I don't know =)

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

almondpigeon
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:33 PM
I started my 4 yo in kinder this year ( he turns 5 in november). He's doing surprisingly well. I don't really pressure him though. If I see that he's getting bored or antsy, I wrap it up for the day. He usually wanders back in & participates in his 2nd grade sister's science and history. Its so cute to hear him talk about the celts and anglo-saxons.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Immediately after the baby stage. Montessori and Waldorf inspired play learning. Eventually progressing into a classical style of education. 

tattoo ~my blogs

Homeschooler by day  ★Links   ★Mamta

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It totally depends on the child, each child is truly unique.  My DD was ready at 4, my special needs son not until 7.  When learning is forced before they are ready it will just hold them back. 

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Birth...I think kids do betternlearning if they always beehnaround it. I mean think about it you dontmlay your baby in the crib and ignore him all day. You sing to him, you play with his toes, you encourage him to lift his head up. I t hink all of that is educating them, it never stops for us parents. I have always been proud to be able to tell ds that his parents taught him everything, from how to sit up to how to read. It gives us such an awesome connection
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)