Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
What is, in your opinion, the best, ideal age, to start schooling?

At what age would you start if you had complete freedom from the "statutes" of your state?

undefined

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Knowing you Kirbymom, I assume you don't mean formal education.  So I would say it begins even before birth as we talk and read to them. 

TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM
For both of my girls formal learning would have been best at 7. They could have just explored before that and really developed their interests.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I would start early, just because I teach constantly, lol. I taught my kids before they ever went to school, and taught them while they went to preschool and then ps, and now I'll teach them at home for middle school. If I were to have another child now, I would start early as well but I wouldn't push too hard if they pulled back. I would make it a lot of fun so they didn't quite know they were learning. My kids knew all their letters, numbers, colors, and shapes before heading to prek at 4...my oldest was even reading then, but he is just a natural learner.

I think it's just a personal preference and should be based on the child as well. But if they're ready to learn, then teach them...that's what I go by.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM
We start from birth. We never talked to them like they were babies. If they did something a few times we expected it from them.

So when dd7 started talking at 6 months we expected her to use her words. While young I think it helped her be the strong learner she is today.

For formal sit down school with my oldest 2 we started a 4 1/2. Since we were homeschooling the girls last year my then 2 and 3 year olds decided to join in. They are working with us again this year.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Learning starts happening in infancy and never stops. There are lots of ways to teach without it ever feeling like formal education. For me, I like to hold off on school till about 7 or so, but that's not to say that learning isn't happening before that.
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I started kindergarten for my daughter this year at age 5 years and 2 days. She had been working on kindergarten level stuff for the past year. She entered into kindergarten being able to read, add, spell and write. Learning begins at birth and I believe there are many opportunities for children to learn informally before formally starting school. My daughter is one that is worksheet oriented and loves writing so I tayler her learning to suit her personal learning style. I felt she was ready for a formal program at age 5 though based on her personality and learning styles.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I think for a lot of people, homeschooling begins at birth. :)  In the traditional sense of the word, I really think that it's different for each family and even each child.  I have a friend who wouldn't start formal schooling until her boys were 7.  She did start a year earlier with her daughter though.  My son and youngest were okay starting K at 5 but my middle daughter needed to wait til she was 6.  Just depends

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Aww - You aren't ever forcing your opinions or ideas on this group. I enjoy your opinions and ideas, even if I may not agree with something you said. You should be able to state your opinion just like I do. Or anyone else. That being said, if I may ask, how formal is your formal? And why at 4 but not 3 or 5?
I would love to know your opinion if you aren't too offended by my asking?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really care to dictate that for others. We start formal academics at 4.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol - Well, as you know, I do believe that we are "teaching" from the moment we understand that our babies we carry inside us have an understanding of a lot of what we say and even are familiar with the sounds if our voices but, I also believe that at some point in an "older" child, there is a more "formal", a depth of teaching and learning that takes place. I also understand that we change and tweak what we teach and how we teach as well as learn. So, I love to gain new ideas from other's opinions and ideas for how they do for their family.

I think that sometimes someone will connect with what someone else said, thinks or does within their own family unit and wouldn't be able to gain that connection or knowledge if we didn't share our ideas and opinions. Therefore, my post. :)

Quoting romacox:

Knowing you Kirbymom, I assume you don't mean formal education.  So I would say it begins even before birth as we talk and read to them. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I might have misread your post to ask what age I think *others* should start, that's what I meant by dictating what others do, lol.

By formal, I mean we use formal curriculum and begin at a certain time during the day, with certain attainable goals we would like to meet - I document the goals met and what needs to be worked on. For my 4 year old, this year, our schedule looks like this:

Rosary or Mass

Phonics & Handwriting

Math

Religion

Literature activity

Music (I still need to order this - trying to wade through the *extras* suggested in the program I want, lol)

We start at 4 because children are, at that age, better able to sit still for small amounts of time -vs- age three. We start before 5 because I also firmly believe that young children are absolute sponges and absolutely ENJOY learning (my son hugged his school books and exclaimed "for me?! Oh, thank you Mom Mom!" when they came in, lol). I would rather not spend the beginning months of kindergarten teaching a child how to sit still for small increments of time - to me, that's wasting valuable time that could be better taught before "legal school age".

Quoting kirbymom:

Aww - You aren't ever forcing your opinions or ideas on this group. I enjoy your opinions and ideas, even if I may not agree with something you said. You should be able to state your opinion just like I do. Or anyone else. That being said, if I may ask, how formal is your formal? And why at 4 but not 3 or 5?
I would love to know your opinion if you aren't too offended by my asking?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really care to dictate that for others. We start formal academics at 4.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN