Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
What is, in your opinion, the best, ideal age, to start schooling?

At what age would you start if you had complete freedom from the "statutes" of your state?

undefined

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this
We never talked to any of our babies like they were babies either. I firmly believe that because we did that, the kids are quick and strong learning individuals when it connects with them.

Quoting debramommyof4:

We start from birth. We never talked to them like they were babies. If they did something a few times we expected it from them.

So when dd7 started talking at 6 months we expected her to use her words. While young I think it helped her be the strong learner she is today.

For formal sit down school with my oldest 2 we started a 4 1/2. Since we were homeschooling the girls last year my then 2 and 3 year olds decided to join in. They are working with us again this year.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM
You know, that isn't a bad schedule, at all. When I think formal education, I think more depth and length of time as well as more coverage of subjects. I guess that is why I wanted opinions and ideas from other people. Very interesting indeed.
Thank you for showing me your schedule. :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

His literature activity book (Picture Book Activities) includes some work with social studies and science, so we aren't very concerned with adding it in formally at this point. Next year, for Kindergarten, we're hoping to do pre-history (dinosaurs, etc) - I can't freakin' wait for that! Lol. He just isn't much one for crafts and things, so I want to wait on that a year.

I define (on a personal level) formal education as any amount of mandatory work done with goals of learning specific material.

Quoting kirbymom:

You know, that isn't a bad schedule, at all. When I think formal education, I think more depth and length of time as well as more coverage of subjects. I guess that is why I wanted opinions and ideas from other people. Very interesting indeed.
Thank you for showing me your schedule. :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Interesting. :)
How far do you go into your study of the dinosaur era? Also, when do you stop? When all goals are met or most of the goals or sto at a certain every day regardless?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM

History, until junior high, is (for us) done with the "goal" of exposure. Some more important facts will be memorized by way of memory work. We do not concentrate on retention or mastery of content subjects until junior high (when a more intensive study of history starts over again).

So next year, for pre-history, we'll do fun activities, read fun books about pre-history, spend time with related memory work, etc. We'll stop when when the year's over - if I need to find *more*, I'll find it; if I need to back off for whatever reason, no worries - he'll study it again in junior high :P

I'm sorry - I don't exactly know what you mean by "how far into" the study we'll go?

ETA: and yes, next year when we do pre-history, we'll stop for the day when our history "slot" is done (or carry on after all other school work is completed, if he wants).

Quoting kirbymom:

Interesting. :)
How far do you go into your study of the dinosaur era? Also, when do you stop? When all goals are met or most of the goals or sto at a certain every day regardless?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:13 PM

We start early any way.  I'm home schooling for Kindergarten and 1st grade for my son.  We have his letters and numbers down already and he's got colors and shapes down.  He's got some basic addition and subtraction down and he's only 5.  You teach them things without even realizing it.  Would I rush him in to a school/structured setting like this right away?  Maybe, maybe not.  My boy is very active, likes to do things hands on and busy.  Will do math if we work with physical objects to count.  Easily gets bored with reading and writing.  He's good with memerization if we work with it for a couple of days.  At some point we have to teach our children to sit and be patient but the longer we wait to do this the harder it becomes to get them to focus. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Sorry, what I am asking is, will you teach on all the different types of dinossurs and all their corresponding facts or just study a few mainstream types and corresponding facts?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:45 PM

As many different types of dinosaurs that I we can get to, while also studying other aspects of pre-history (origin of earth, man, theistic evolution in kiddy friendly terms, etc).

Quoting kirbymom:

Sorry, what I am asking is, will you teach on all the different types of dinossurs and all their corresponding facts or just study a few mainstream types and corresponding facts?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Do you think it is easier at an earlier age or just something that you do?

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

We start early any way.  I'm home schooling for Kindergarten and 1st grade for my son.  We have his letters and numbers down already and he's got colors and shapes down.  He's got some basic addition and subtraction down and he's only 5.  You teach them things without even realizing it.  Would I rush him in to a school/structured setting like this right away?  Maybe, maybe not.  My boy is very active, likes to do things hands on and busy.  Will do math if we work with physical objects to count.  Easily gets bored with reading and writing.  He's good with memerization if we work with it for a couple of days.  At some point we have to teach our children to sit and be patient but the longer we wait to do this the harder it becomes to get them to focus. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Neat. Interesting. Thank you for letting me see what you do. I find it very educational and even helpful in some ways. :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN