Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is, in your opinion, the best, ideal age, to start schooling?

At what age would you start if you had complete freedom from the "statutes" of your state?

undefined

by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Replies (31-40):
1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it really depends on the kids.  Are they ready and willing to learn.  My son is always interested in new things and enjoys repeating things.  So watching the Leap Frog video series was great for him.  He liked the songs and the way they presented the lessons, learning the alphabet and learning to spell words and learning the sounds that the letters made as well as counting.  Always remember we are the first teachers of our children, rolling over, crawling, walking, talking, eating so why not continue by teaching them to recognize letters and numbers early and shapes and colors.  I have a friend who taught her kids their colors and some other words in american sign language and they use them regularly.  If you have a busy learner then work on flash cards and memorization or use chalk and mae a hop scotch board on your drive way to teach them their numbers.  Same with the alphabet draw checker board type pattern with all the letters and make a bean bag toss game out of it.  For shapes play I spy for things around the house or in the backyard.  If you buy the kids wooden blocks to play with as toddlers once they grasp speaking then work with shapes and have a scavenger hunt in the house.  Make them look for blocks in the shapes you tell them or show them.  Learning doesn't have to be a chore especially if the kids aren't enrolled in school yet.  and if you have a kindergartener and a 2 or 3 year old getting them to play games together and having the older sibling show the younger the ropes will reinforce lessons. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Do you think it is easier at an earlier age or just something that you do?

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

We start early any way.  I'm home schooling for Kindergarten and 1st grade for my son.  We have his letters and numbers down already and he's got colors and shapes down.  He's got some basic addition and subtraction down and he's only 5.  You teach them things without even realizing it.  Would I rush him in to a school/structured setting like this right away?  Maybe, maybe not.  My boy is very active, likes to do things hands on and busy.  Will do math if we work with physical objects to count.  Easily gets bored with reading and writing.  He's good with memerization if we work with it for a couple of days.  At some point we have to teach our children to sit and be patient but the longer we wait to do this the harder it becomes to get them to focus. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
It seems we think in similar viewpoints. I also believe that we are our children's first teacher. If we handle it right, we can teach them that learning is invaluable and very interesting when they are young.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on the child. DD is 3.5 and I am starting now because she is ready reading and doing math , etc. In our state because of her bday she wouldnt need to start until 6 way too late this kud needs more now!!!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I didn't read the other responses yet, but.... It's different for each child and each family.  With my middle boy, I would wait another year or two: he is 6 but we are often just spinning our wheels.  My youngest (4) is very ready to learn, although still not ready to sit still.  We've started already with him, Math U See, language arts, cutting, coloring, handwriting without tears, and science and geography.  My oldest was also ready early.  We waited very impatiently for public kindergarten to start, that should have been a clue that public school was not going to be for us.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Don't you just live when our kids are practically begging to learn? They seem to learn the most at this early stage in life.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I think it depends on the child. DD is 3.5 and I am starting now because she is ready reading and doing math , etc. In our state because of her bday she wouldnt need to start until 6 way too late this kud needs more now!!!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM
See, I think it is different for each family too. Since each child is so unique with different learning styles, that to make them all start the same way at the same time only hinders them from realizing their full potential.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I didn't read the other responses yet, but.... It's different for each child and each family.  With my middle boy, I would wait another year or two: he is 6 but we are often just spinning our wheels.  My youngest (4) is very ready to learn, although still not ready to sit still.  We've started already with him, Math U See, language arts, cutting, coloring, handwriting without tears, and science and geography.  My oldest was also ready early.  We waited very impatiently for public kindergarten to start, that should have been a clue that public school was not going to be for us.

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

i didnt pay attention to my states statues and started with arts and crafts at around 2-4 and schooling subjects at about 5 (except youngest dd she taught herself to read, cuz she was ready) for all of them but only the subjects they were ready for, some were ready to read some werent, the ones that werent ready to learn phonics they did math and things like that.

as far as the best time to start schooling(my opinion) when the child shows an interest in something teach it!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I was kind of the same. I didn't pay attention to the statutes either and went with what I thought was best for them.

Quoting oredeb:

i didnt pay attention to my states statues and started with arts and crafts at around 2-4 and schooling subjects at about 5 (except youngest dd she taught herself to read, cuz she was ready) for all of them but only the subjects they were ready for, some were ready to read some werent, the ones that werent ready to learn phonics they did math and things like that.

as far as the best time to start schooling(my opinion) when the child shows an interest in something teach it!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree.  I have backed way off on my middle son because I heard him say he doesn't like school.  I figured out exactly what he meant and changed our way of "doing school" in order to make it something he wants to do and likes to do.  I was more caught up in needing to cover the science topics the schools think he should learn and covering the history topics in a certain order and a certain depth.  Now we all vote on the 14 topics we will cover in science and we use books and novels (historical fiction/ real life accounts) to teach history.  We just built a viking ship with fridge boxes in the living room and "attacked" a Gaul village.  He went into a huge explanation about it to my parents and that's when I knew I was doing it right.  (Finally!)

Quoting kirbymom:

See, I think it is different for each family too. Since each child is so unique with different learning styles, that to make them all start the same way at the same time only hinders them from realizing their full potential.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly I wouldn't have changed a thing.  We started "teaching" her at 18 mos.  She was trying to read by 2, but couldn't get it all together until 3 1/2.  She was doing math....basic addition around 2.  My LO is an exception to most rules.  I have a friend who keeps saying that he wants his fiance to come spend a few weeks at our house and just watch how things are done.  He wants them to HS their children.....when they are ready to have them.

My oldest (she came to live with us 16 mos ago, and adopted her last September).  I wish I could have changed so much about her early upbringing, but she wasn't ours at that point.  I just keep working with her and trying to remember that she doesn't have the same foundation as my youngest which makes it hard with the expectations that I put into place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)