Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone in Colorado?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM
  • 18 Replies
My husband works for my father, who is considering moving his company to Denver area this year.. Anyone in the area? What are the laws for CO? Are there any great homeschooling groups, classes, etc in the Denver area?

Thanks!! :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Hi SarahNElijah....not in Colorado, but here are answers to some of  your questions

Colorado State Laws

Find A Support Group

Home School Events

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the Denver area.  I won't give you the laws since romacox did, but it's essentially 172 days, 4 hours/day.  You need to submit a letter of intent, and keep records (attendance and such), but my district hasn't ever asked for that stuff.  I haven't hooked up with a homeschooling group yet, but they're out there, I just haven't found what I'm looking for.  There are also homeschool options that are paid for publicly, where you go to a school (I think they're generally held in a church) for a full day.  Things like cooking, sewing, art and such.  If you sign up, you're there for the full day, that's how they're able to get their money from the district.  I just started in January, so I'm still learning the ropes.

SarahNElijah
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Thanks so much for your help! Do you know how the testing every two years works? Thanks again!! :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

I'm in the Denver area.  I won't give you the laws since romacox did, but it's essentially 172 days, 4 hours/day.  You need to submit a letter of intent, and keep records (attendance and such), but my district hasn't ever asked for that stuff.  I haven't hooked up with a homeschooling group yet, but they're out there, I just haven't found what I'm looking for.  There are also homeschool options that are paid for publicly, where you go to a school (I think they're generally held in a church) for a full day.  Things like cooking, sewing, art and such.  If you sign up, you're there for the full day, that's how they're able to get their money from the district.  I just started in January, so I'm still learning the ropes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM

This year I face the beast.  :)  From what I read, districts are not obligated to fit you in with TCAP (it's our state standards test) testing, though Adams 12 (where we are) does, free of charge.  I'm thinking of doing the Stanford Achievement Test on my own dime, though, just because I can do it in my own home.  I guess it all comes down to cost, though, and we'll see what I'm up for when the time actually comes.  At any rate, the requirement is that you take a nationally recognized test every 2 years, starting in 3rd grade, and once you get the scores, you turn them into district.  I believe the kiddos have to get in the 13th percentile or higher.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Thanks so much for your help! Do you know how the testing every two years works? Thanks again!! :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

SarahNElijah
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Good luck!!! My son would have to do it at the end of next year.. If you do the Stanford test, so you have to have a certified test giver come to your home??

Quoting hwblyf:

This year I face the beast.  :)  From what I read, districts are not obligated to fit you in with TCAP (it's our state standards test) testing, though Adams 12 (where we are) does, free of charge.  I'm thinking of doing the Stanford Achievement Test on my own dime, though, just because I can do it in my own home.  I guess it all comes down to cost, though, and we'll see what I'm up for when the time actually comes.  At any rate, the requirement is that you take a nationally recognized test every 2 years, starting in 3rd grade, and once you get the scores, you turn them into district.  I believe the kiddos have to get in the 13th percentile or higher.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Quoting hwblyf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gacgbaker
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I used to live there- I don't know much about the laws except my mom (who homeschooled us for a short time) said they a pretty easy to work with.  Looks like you have some good information already- but I think you will love Denver- it's a beautiful city!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  And it looks like I'm looking at the Iowa test, it's been a while since I looked at it all.  Here's the site I'm going to buy from, it's got all kinds of info:

http://www.setontesting.com/

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Good luck!!! My son would have to do it at the end of next year.. If you do the Stanford test, so you have to have a certified test giver come to your home??

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Quoting hwblyf:

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in Aurora (Denver suburb).  

You have to file a notice of intent, have testing or an evaluation every other year (3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th), at least four hours a day of 'school', 172 days.  

We have awesome homeschool enrichment programs here, too!  They are through the public school (but still good, not like school).  This is our fifth ear and my kids love it!  Some sites are academic leaning, some sites are fun, etc.  This year, I split my kids up so my son goes on Tuesdays (more hands on based) and my daughter is going on Fridays (unit studies based).  

Anyway, I know you didn't ask about that, but there you go anyway.  

As for the testing, it has to be a nationally accredited test, so you wouldn't take the Colorado test the public schoolers take, as it is not nationally accredited.  Our Options site offers the Iowa Basic Skills test (if people want it, the kids don't have to take it there, or at all).  We just did the evaluation for my son's third grade year. This year (5th), I am thinking of having him take the test. I just can't decide.  I am not worried about him taking it, just that I hate standardized tests on principle.  I will always have my daughter evaluated, she will never do the testing.

The kids only need to score better than 13%, and I feel like even kids below their grade level can do that fairly easily...even guessing at every question, I think it'd be hard to score lower than 13%...

SarahNElijah
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Thanks!! :-)

Quoting gacgbaker:

I used to live there- I don't know much about the laws except my mom (who homeschooled us for a short time) said they a pretty easy to work with.  Looks like you have some good information already- but I think you will love Denver- it's a beautiful city!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahNElijah
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks again!! This is very helpful! :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

Thanks!  And it looks like I'm looking at the Iowa test, it's been a while since I looked at it all.  Here's the site I'm going to buy from, it's got all kinds of info:

http://www.setontesting.com/

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Quoting hwblyf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)