Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My contract with the school department.

Posted by   + Show Post
I had to sign a contract with the school department and I went in there thinking the laws were different. I checked the laws with Rhode Island department of education government website. I found out the true laws of homeschooling. Things are going to be so much harder this year than last year. I can do it, I just have to do more planning, give them more information monthly, I have to give Destinay tests and give them the score. Oh and I am supposed to teach her 5 hours per day, no less than 25 hours per week. Give them worksheets with her name and date on them. I swear this is so foolish. Well I just wanted to complain over this and any advice is appreciated. Have a nice day.
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I looked over the RI department of Education website and I couldn't find anything but an FAQ page, Compulsory Attendance law (which does not say you have to teach her 5 hrs a day), and the requirements to teach health, civics and PE. I then checked a couple of RI homeschool groups that that all they given info on too as far as laws go. Nothing I find mentioned monthly contact with the school district etc. All I am finding is that you send in a Letter of Intent at the beging of the year stating that you are complying with the laws and a letter at the end of the year stating that you complied with the laws and you include the standardized test scores with that letter. http://www.enrichri.org/

Mommynay2
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Instruction has to be at least 5 hours per day for 180 days. Subjects are to be taught are reading, writing, math, RI constitution, US History, RI history, RI Government, Health, Gym, English. I have to submit recent work. I have to submit monthly lesson plans for a certified teacher's approval on the first day of the month. I have to submit quarterly attendance reports. And it is up to the school department to be able to homeschool.

Quoting mem82:

Just to clarify, what are the actual laws of the state?

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I searched a few different sites and didn't find anything about turning in worksheets or reporting hours. I personally would not depend on info they give you . they have no reason to be helpful, they're going to try to make it harder for you. You need to find an independent site or go to HSLDA.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM

One way we made our science and social studies subjects last longer without doing a ton more worksheets and studying was to create a book box for both subjects from the library.   After finishing our lesson (about 10-20 minutes max), they were allowed just free book box time for the rest of the time.

We have to keep a log of 1000 hours per year, which averages 5 hours daily if we take a decent amount of vacations, weekends, and breaks.

However, it doesn't have to be 5 hours of work... it can be baking cookies, sports, etc.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Did you clarify that ALL of the history/government stuff has to be completed in the same year?   That seems a bit too heavy on government and history and such.   Even in school, one year we would have US history, then we would have a semester on Ohio (I lived in ohio) history and government.... another year would be geography... 

Quoting Mommynay2:

Instruction has to be at least 5 hours per day for 180 days. Subjects are to be taught are reading, writing, math, RI constitution, US History, RI history, RI Government, Health, Gym, English. I have to submit recent work. I have to submit monthly lesson plans for a certified teacher's approval on the first day of the month. I have to submit quarterly attendance reports. And it is up to the school department to be able to homeschool.

Quoting mem82:

Just to clarify, what are the actual laws of the state?

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Some school districts have written their own laws, and some try to bluff parents into signing contracts that are only binding if the parent signs them.  .  If the State and District laws contradict, parents can challenge them.  However R I is showing district laws on the one of the RI home school association sites.  Check it out, and don't simply take the DOE word for anything. They lose money when a child is pulled out of P.S., and many of them will try to make it as hard on parent educators as they can possibly get away with. One can also call the Home School Legal Defense Association.  

Currently more children are enrolling in home school than in P.S.  That means lost revenue for P.S..  As a result, schools are trying every trick in the book.. Our children's education should be about what is in the best interest of the children, and not about money.  But it is what it is.

Quoting sha_lyn68:

I looked over the RI department of Education website and I couldn't find anything but an FAQ page, Compulsory Attendance law (which does not say you have to teach her 5 hrs a day), and the requirements to teach health, civics and PE. I then checked a couple of RI homeschool groups that that all they given info on too as far as laws go. Nothing I find mentioned monthly contact with the school district etc. All I am finding is that you send in a Letter of Intent at the beging of the year stating that you are complying with the laws and a letter at the end of the year stating that you complied with the laws and you include the standardized test scores with that letter. http://www.enrichri.org/

NANA9259
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Chasing3:

hmmm... I'd start researching that and see if they can really do that. I haven't officially started homeschooling, but  some advice I've gotten from others in my town (in massachusetts) who do and who ran into some problems with the district was to join the HSLDA. You don't have to be Christian to use them, I was told. I haven't joined and am hoping I won't need to... but I think it's $120 to join for the year and they'll give you free legal support. At the least they can tell you if what your school department is requiring and what they asked you to sign is within the law and get you out from under those requirements if it's not!

good luck!

Nana9259

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
You're only obligated to follow *state* law, not any add-ons your district puts in front of you. Did you sign a contract? HSLDA sounds like a profitable investment for as long as you live there.
AmyMamie
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this

I looked up the laws for Rhode Island on the HSLDA website (which are always accurate, because they will legally back those laws up for you if you're a member), and they said, "Rather than requiring "instruction" for any particular amount of time, state law requires "a period of attendance" substantially equal to what the laws require for public schools, i.e., 180 days."  So only a set amount of days, NOT a set amount of hours per day.  

And as to having the right to homeschool, the website says, "If the local school committee denies parents the right to home school, the parents may appeal to the Department of Education and have a right to a hearing.  Commissioner ruled that it is a "Constitutional right" to educate one's children."

For testing requirements, HSLDA reports the law to say:  "Standardized Tests: Not required by statute. However, the Commissioner of Education has ruled that local school districts have the authority to require some type of evaluation under their "approval" authority as long as they "accommodate the preferences of parents for certain mechanisms for measurement."

It does appear then that the local authorities are overstepping their bounds with you.  DEFINITELY don't let them get away with that.

NANA9259
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM

HSLDA is $120.00 a year or $10.00 a month. I think they would be your best bet. Just a letter from them usually gets results. You can sign up for thier newsletter w/o joining. There is a lot of information on the website to guide you. hslda.org

Nana9259

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)