Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teaching her a valuable lesson

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 5 Replies
3 moms liked this

Yesterday, we did our first spelling test together this year, and I had them switch papers and "help" me grade them.

My eldest got all picky about my second's handwriting, all because he makes his lower case "R" by drawing the half line down and then bringing the little hump over to it.   Sometimes he would MILDLY cross the line down and leave the slightest tag on the other side... my daughter made a BIG deal about how they look like T's and that they should be marked wrong.   

Later, I went to grade 10 pages of mathwork that she had done.   She wrote the numbers so teeeny tiny and sloppy that I couldn't tell if a 9 was a 4.  Plus, the exponents were the same size as the integers so instead of being 8 to the 0 power, it looked like 80.   Her six looked like a comma.... it really didn't look like a six at all.  Her numbers were so close that they were written (teeny tiny still) on top of one another, and numbers were jammed in between two other numbers because it looks like she forgot to write it right.  

I was complaining about how difficult it was to grade, and my DH reminded me of her behavior over my younger son's "R's"....

Well, she's having to erase the whole 10 pages and rewrite them.   I figure it will accomplish two things.   1... teach her to not be so snotty about her brother's handwriting and 2... teach her that I need to at least be able to discipher her numbers in order to grade them properly.

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:15 PM

If I can't read it, it may as well be wrong - suddenly, DD's handwriting and math answers are a lot more legible.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM

That's a good approach, too, but she wouldn't care.   She'd rather get a zero than have to erase it all and write it legibly.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Oh, DD doesn't care so much if she fails, but she hates the loooooong lecture. *gg*

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I <3 the way you think!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I think it's a good lesson to learn, and one that at one point and time each of my children have had to learn.  If I can't read it, or if they are ignoring basic handwriting rules because they are in a rush to be done, then they can redo it until it's done right.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)