Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not sure how to go about teaching this...

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok ladies so I have selected our goals for this year. This year in "Our story" we will be learning about our country (American history, American presidents and US geography). 

My only concern is that I'm not sure how exactly to go about teaching it all. Here is what I'm thinking. 

Option A: I could teach all 3 in chronological order. As we teach about American history, pause for the presidents and the histories of the states. 

Option B: Teach by topic. Complete US History first, then move on to unit studies for the Presidents and Geography. 

What do you ladies think? What are the pros/cons of each approach? 

Thanks in advance!

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I would teach them chronologically. That way, you're making more connections and making each topic relevant to each other.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would also do the chronological or integrated approach.  I think they would get more out of it and it would make more sense.  You can build the geography right in easily with immigrants coming and the gold rush and the Oregon trail, all that stuff..along with the presidents as you go.  I think that makes the most sense-at least to me...We are doing history in chronological order starting with Ancient History this year and plan to go chronologically all the way..

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I like option A

QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Thanks ladies!
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Have you read American Story?  http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio/free  I haven't read the whole thing, but my son (who skips around in books a lot) really enjoys it.  It's 100 of the author's favorite stories, so it's not a complete history.  While it's told chronologically, she went through and made suggested reading groupings, so that you could more clearly see the patterns in history that she sees.  Definitely worth a check out from the library.  I like it so much I bought it.  :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I also agree that chronological order is your best bet. The reason I say this is because you can bring in all other subjects as well. You can utilize cooking to bring most of it all together.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I like option A too :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I vote A.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:04 PM

A vote here, too.

We do Sonlight and are in Core E, having done Core D  last year. it's a two-year study of American history. There is a LOT to cover.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)