Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I dont understand it

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 27 Replies

I very rarely get any negative comments about homeschooling.  My kids have lots of social opportunities and academically have proven that homeschooling is working for them.  It's been nice not to have to deal with any of that.  Maybe that's why this has been such a surprise to me, I don't know.

My 10 year old DD has an amazing voice.  Unfortunately she's too young for any choirs in our area, so we looked at voice lessons to help her develop her talent.  I think I posted about finding a voice coach for her, and how excited we were when it worked out.  Everyone agrees that her voice is amazing for her age, but our parents have been less than encouraging when it comes to her teacher.  My MIL was surprised, but then almost immediately started telling us about others who also teach who would be cheaper (without even knowing what we are going to be paying) and who would probably do a good job with Em.  After all, isn't this awfully fancy for a 10 yo? I was telling my mom how we have to get a book of Italian Arias and her response was "Good luck with that." It's so strange to me.  My daughter has a talent and we try very hard to encourage their kids to explore their talents/interests.  I think that's our responsibility as parents.  Yes, the lessons are going to cost, but it's not going to break the bank, and the voice teacher is a talented performer who can offer Emily a classical background and an experience others can't (http://www.katieharman.com/).  I just dont understand why nobody seems happy that she has this opportunity.  What do you think?  Would you take the opportunity?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:34 AM
1 mom liked this

How odd!  Of COURSE one should get the best teacher or tutor possible -- that doesn't necessarily mean the best singer, but if this teacher "clicks" with your daughter and you can afford it, why not?  Now, of course, you'll need to find a really good teacher of Italian, too!  Maybe your family is reacting to the "stepping outside the box" aspect of all this, but, after all, that's what home schooling is supposed to allow you  to do (says the mom who managed to track down a tutor in Old English -- i.e., what the Anglo-Saxons spoke before the Norman invasion -- for her 11-year-old son).  Take that road less travelled!  Best of luck to you and your daughter! 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:58 AM

I love it!

Quoting JKronrod:

says the mom who managed to track down a tutor in Old English -- i.e., what the Anglo-Saxons spoke before the Norman invasion -- for her 11-year-old son).  Take that road less travelled! 

wowguildmomma
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:07 AM

We catch the same responses over getting DD who is 7 the violin and lessons she has been begging us for 3 years for. 

We just ignore them and support her cause for 1 that kinda tenacity about something is rare at her age and 2) who knows she could be really good with it and go on to a musical career if she so chooses and if not well she will be one awesome violinist.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:25 AM
2 moms liked this

Take this with a grain of salt, because it is just one onlookers perspective...

they see that you already homeschool your child and now you are obtaining special voice training for that child (and who knows what else they see)... MAYBE they perceive this as you (and your husband) acting like your child(ren) are "golden" or something. 

I recently heard someone complaining that their son was paying for their daughter to go on expensive cheerleading camp retreats (and such things). He was saying how his son was acting like his children were all super special. However, I had also recently heard this same man discussing how he could never afford to do much for his kids. I think MAYBE this man regretted not doing more for his own kids - and/or - maybe he honestly believes children are spoiled now days and see's this as another example of that. 

Something to consider. In the end, you likely have a better sense of things to know what is at the root of their issue with this matter. It MIGHT be wise to discern who you tell future similar matters to. However, that is dependant upon your discretion.

I personally think nothing wrong of you getting voice lessons for your daughter - but its also not my business. 

BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pukalani79:

I very rarely get any negative comments about homeschooling.  My kids have lots of social opportunities and academically have proven that homeschooling is working for them.  It's been nice not to have to deal with any of that.  Maybe that's why this has been such a surprise to me, I don't know.

My 10 year old DD has an amazing voice.  Unfortunately she's too young for any choirs in our area, so we looked at voice lessons to help her develop her talent.  I think I posted about finding a voice coach for her, and how excited we were when it worked out.  Everyone agrees that her voice is amazing for her age, but our parents have been less than encouraging when it comes to her teacher.  My MIL was surprised, but then almost immediately started telling us about others who also teach who would be cheaper (without even knowing what we are going to be paying) and who would probably do a good job with Em.  After all, isn't this awfully fancy for a 10 yo? I was telling my mom how we have to get a book of Italian Arias and her response was "Good luck with that." It's so strange to me.  My daughter has a talent and we try very hard to encourage their kids to explore their talents/interests.  I think that's our responsibility as parents.  Yes, the lessons are going to cost, but it's not going to break the bank, and the voice teacher is a talented performer who can offer Emily a classical background and an experience others can't (http://www.katieharman.com/).  I just dont understand why nobody seems happy that she has this opportunity.  What do you think?  Would you take the opportunity?

I agree that it is our job as parents to help our children explore the world. They should be allowed to explore different hobbies or talents to try and discover who they are as an individual. The teacher you have chosen for her has an AMAZING voice!  If your Mil can not be supportive maybe there is some reason behind it. As someone else mentioned some people can not provide opportunities for their children to grow their talents and may become resentful of those who can. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Hey, if you can afford it and your daughter is interested just ignore the haters. 8)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

There are always going to be people who disagree with how you raise your children.  Don't let it bother you.  I think it is awesome that you are encouraging her talents.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:18 AM

HECK YES IN A HEART BEAT!!!!  I took music all through grade school and HS and loved it.  As a teen in NJ I had the opportunity to work with an extension program connected to my HS and I had the chance to work with professional performers from The Metropolitan Opera in NYC.  It was a marvelous experience and by the time I graduated HS I had learned to sing in Italian, Spanish, French and German and learing to read and understand sheet music is/was a bonus.  As for those being negative tell them to go fly a kite.  If your daughter is loving it and really encouraged by her instructor then by all means go for it.  Picking up the languages might be a bit of a rough start but she'll get it.  Her mind is a sponge and there will be certain songs that will stick with her once she's learned them and you'll hear her performing in the shower or humming randomly here and there.  Let her spread her wings and fly.  Trust me if my husband and I could afford to send my son to lessons for music of any type be it vocal or instrumental I'd do it in a heart beat if he was interested.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I agree with everyone else, if you can afford it and it's something she is interested in, then why wouldn't you do it??  I wish I could afford to give my kids lessons in everything that interests them.  I wish I could afford lots of things for them.  We should all do the best with what we have and give our kids as many opportunities as we can.  That's the whole point of hsing.

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM

oh yes we would take the opportunity!!  dont let anyone stop you! go for it!

here in the coop i teach at we are looking for a vocal teacher for a class of kids in northern oregon, theres to many of them!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN