Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I fell in love with homeschooling all over again last night.....

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:24 AM
  • 13 Replies
5 moms liked this

LOL.  Ok this is our third year and the first year with two kiddos in the mix.  We have a 1st grader and I am doing preschool with my 4YO.  I was not for homeschooling at first, I was terrified.  I did well in school but that was a long time ago and my memory stinks (like really bad) so I had all the doubts of a first timer.  Can I do this?  Will I mess up?  How am I going to teach a high schooler when I am sometimes not sure how I got through?  All that jazz.......

First year went ok.  I mean it's preschool, how hard can it be?  We bought a boxed curriculum which I liked.  Got the catalog for Kindy.  I got excited!  Uh oh.........I hate when DH is right about something.  Irritates me to no end.  LOL

Second year went even better.  While not reading on his own yet, I can see those little pistons firing inside his mind.  He loves reading, especially chapter books.  Loves science, loves math (as long as he sits down and does not panic).  Writing........well we can't love everything, right?

So this year our science is focusing a lot on animals in the beginning of the year (which both my boys love) and as we are taking showers last night I hear my 6YO say to Dad.......

Son:.do you know those pointy feathers on the top of owls heads?  Do you think those are their ears Daddy?

DH: Yup I think those are.

Son: But they aren't Daddy, they are just feathers.  Owls have their ears right here (points to face) under their eyes.

Dh turns to me, I nod and say yup it's true.  We read about it today.  LOL  I love that sometimes my 6YO knows something my DH (who has a masters) doesn't!  

Sorry for the ramble ladies.......it's early and little girl is kicking up a storm.  I love that we (as parents) are learning right along with these guys.  It's great!  I think I may have just captured my love of learning again. 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:23 AM

That's awesome. And hey! I didn't know that either. LOL

Hafsa1
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:29 AM
We just found out about the owl thing last week at nature camp :)

Ds will be starting school today...3rd grade. I was prepping all his stuff last night and this morning, and was getting excited and scared at the same time lol. There seems to be a huge jump in the content from 2nd to 3rd grade, and the spelling list alone had me a little worried. I know we can handle it though. He asked me the other day "mom, are you going to go easy on me the first day?" LOL.
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Good luck!

I had to talk to someone from the company about our curriculum about spelling for my 1st grader.....there is a word list book and then in the instructor's guide there was a much smaller list of words.  Those are the ones that he is supposed to work on spelling.  Thank goodness!  I was thinking that a list of 50 words was a little much.  LOL  Apparently the ones in the book are just for him to practice reading since he will be exposed to them sometime that week in his readers.

Quoting Hafsa1:

Ds will be starting school today...3rd grade. I was prepping all his stuff last night and this morning, and was getting excited and scared at the same time lol. There seems to be a huge jump in the content from 2nd to 3rd grade, and the spelling list alone had me a little worried. I know we can handle it though. He asked me the other day "mom, are you going to go easy on me the first day?" LOL.

Hafsa1
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:45 AM
I ignored the sight words... which I guess I shouldn't, but he's ahead in reading, so I'm doing 4th grade for that.... his spelling needs some work though. I was just surprised some of the words were quotient, continuity, obscure, etc. He gets 16 words a week and many of them he has no clue the meaning of to be able to write a sentence for... but that's the point of it being school and learning right? I just sat there thinking to myself... How am I going to explain that to a 7 year old in a way he would understand? I have pregnancy brain right now so finding words to describe something to him is difficult and memory is non existent lol

Quoting jwhit8791:

Good luck!

I had to talk to someone from the company about our curriculum about spelling for my 1st grader.....there is a word list book and then in the instructor's guide there was a much smaller list of words.  Those are the ones that he is supposed to work on spelling.  Thank goodness!  I was thinking that a list of 50 words was a little much.  LOL  Apparently the ones in the book are just for him to practice reading since he will be exposed to them sometime that week in his readers.

Quoting Hafsa1:

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM

I hear you on the pregnancy brain!  Sometimes I just look at my little guy and say, you know let's ask Daddy about that or go google it.  Thank goodness for google!  LOL

Quoting Hafsa1:

I ignored the sight words... which I guess I shouldn't, but he's ahead in reading, so I'm doing 4th grade for that.... his spelling needs some work though. I was just surprised some of the words were quotient, continuity, obscure, etc. He gets 16 words a week and many of them he has no clue the meaning of to be able to write a sentence for... but that's the point of it being school and learning right? I just sat there thinking to myself... How am I going to explain that to a 7 year old in a way he would understand? I have pregnancy brain right now so finding words to describe something to him is difficult and memory is non existent lol

Quoting jwhit8791:

Good luck!

Quoting Hafsa1:

Hafsa1
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
lol well my dh probably wouldn't be the best person to ask, as he doesn't simplify his explanations and has me translate English to English. If I can't think of a way to explain it, then I tell him to look in his dictionary, which he likes but doesn't like to search for specific words. He's rather read the dictionary and quizz us on definitions. If we don't come up with the correct definition then he'd be like "I know a word that you don't!" Lol

Quoting jwhit8791:

I hear you on the pregnancy brain!  Sometimes I just look at my little guy and say, you know let's ask Daddy about that or go google it.  Thank goodness for google!  LOL

Quoting Hafsa1:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Good luck!

Quoting Hafsa1:

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I love the moments when my children share with me something they know that I didn't know they knew. It shows that they are learning even when I am not helping them learn.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Love it!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

My 8yo ds told me last night that all sounds we hear are just vibrations. Then he said, "Here, hold your hand in front of your mouth and talk." "You feel that?"

Those moments are what make it all worth while!

all2gethernow
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Been homeschooling officially for 14 years-decided to do it when I was 5 months pregnant with my oldest (she graduated in June:)). 4 kids...I even did it as a single mom for 6 years.
Every single day I am solid on that decision. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Best thing we ever did!!!
Good luck to all of you!!!! Stay strong!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)