Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Back to school fun stuff?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 4 Replies
Hey everyone! This is my first full year homeschooling. I have 2 beautiful daughters, 4th & 2nd grades. I actually homeschooled my oldest for the last couple of months of the school year last year. She is excited about homeschool! My youngest loves public school but is also excited about homeschool. She is a little nervous, I think, about not being at school with her friends every day. I'm wondering if there are back to school things that you all do to get your kids pumped up about the new school year?
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm in the same situation as you, but I have 5 kids.  My oldest (5th grade) is totally fine with the homeschooling thing, he enjoys being in an environment that loves him and gets him.  :)  My 4th grader asked to do this for quite a while, so we relented, and then everyone else wanted to do it as well.  That was in June/July, so we decided to do a test run over the summer just to make sure I had it in me and this was what they really wanted to do.  After 4 weeks, my 4th grader suddenly wanted to go back to school.  He's a social guy, he loves having friends.  I am so not good at that.  I have to work hard to get some friends into his day.

But as for fun to get the kids pumped about school?  We each made flags that we hang outside our house (they're a bit weather worn now and should probably come in!), and we did an all about me sheet.  Sure, we all live together, but it's a way for them to express who they are and how they want us to see them.  I need a better one for next year, though!  I also got new games for the school year, so they've had a lot of fun doing those.

Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Hm, I don't really have any ideas off the top of my head. We have been homeschooling so long, the kids just think of it as the way things are.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Someone in here gives their kids a g/c to Barnes and Nobles and they go buy books on the first day of school...I love that idea.

My kids just got huge bins full of cool supplies from my brother and his gf (which was a huge shock to me, lol...but they got some awesome things that I don't have to buy now)!  They also got excited about their new lap desks and sign language curriculum they got for their birthdays, lol.  I also let them help chose some topics and try to go with their interests...this is our first year hsing too, so I want them to be excited and invested in this with me!

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM
2 moms liked this

We have our annual "Not Back to School" Day.  We go to the dollar store to pick out some learning posters (I think they are a waste of money, but the kids love to have them in the project room), go to Chipotle for lunch, go to the zoo, then we go get ice cream for DINNER.  It is a fun day.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)