Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sign Language

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
  • 15 Replies

I know I've seen posts on sign language before, but I can't for the life of me seem to be able to find them...
Does anyone use an actual curriculum for sign langauge? Or do you just use an ASL dictionary and learn that way?
I found this site that interested me a bit more than some of the others: http://www.start-american-sign-language.com/sign-language-software.html where it can be purchased and it was under their homeschool option for not online, and I haven't checked it out, and I know they have a free version too, but its not everything. I'm just finding SO much out there, and I don't know what is good or not.

My main thing - I need something super cheap or free, at least until next year. Hopefully by then hubby will be working again (he's retiring TODAY!). I also have to hold off on all the little spending on things still needed for the school year til Dec because we won't be getting paid for Oct or Nov, but will be backpaid come Dec... I'm starting to freak out a bit because of this.

We're doing Mandarin this year too, but that is more of a pet project, and I think the sites I found will be enough to carry us through the year, or at the very least "compete" with my brother's family who just moved to China. We're going to see how quickly we can push each other.  I found a tutor for next year, so we're a little excited about that :)

Sorry I got side tracked...Any suggestions on easy/inexpensive ways to learn Sign Language would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

If I remember correctly, a dictionary isn't the best way to truly "learn" ASL - I believe the grammar is a bit different than our spoken language?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

gacgbaker
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I took it in high school and a class after, so I was a bit familiar with it to start (not by any means an expert)- we just got some books and went through them and if I had a question about a sign I looked it up with Google.  You can get the books from the library if you are looking for free. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:55 AM

We found a curriculum that was fairly cheap and I like the looks of it, but we haven't started yet.  It's called Hands on Sign Language

It is $28, then another $20 for the dictionary with pictures.  And we plan to use YouTube as well for signs that are hard to determine by just a picture. You may be able to skip the dictionary for now and find the signs on YouTube or just online...or borrow a dictionary from the library.

Aimee is right, the grammar is a bit different.  And there are different versions or dialects-some leave out those little words and some sign every single word.  The curriculum and the dictionary both have some good info and details before the curriculum parts.  I felt like I needed a guide for that reason and so I would know a good order to teach it in.  This curriculum has you do ten things each day, and you work on a lesson for five days.  Each lesson has 8 new words, and some finger spelling words, and then some practice sentences and other exercises.  And you practice signing the alphabet every day.  It seems pretty thorough for the price.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Thank you. Our library doesn't have any sign language books surprisingly.. But I forgot all about Youtube! I'll definitely look into the Hands on Sign Language a bit more :)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Just as an fyi for everyone - Homeschool Connections offers an online, live, interactive ASL class for middle and high schoolers. It isn't cheap, but if one can swing it, it's supposed to be fantastic. Homeschool Connections iS Catholic, but I can't imagine there would be much Catholic content in the ASL class (if that would bother anyone). Before knowing that Autumn would go to brick and mortar for the year, we were looking at it (and I've heard only great reviews on it).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Scribbleprints
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  I was lucky enough to learn sign in college and so just using it helped teach my kids some, but I haven't done as much with it as I liked.  For your four year old, I really suggest Signing Time videos.  We don't have cable, but I've heard it's on TV somewhere (or was).  You can also find some of the videos for free on YouTube.  You can buy the videos for less used on Ebay too.   You might also check your local library.

ASL grammer is different, but Signed English is the same grammer just with ASL words.  ASL is what deaf people usually speak But signed English is often used in Deaf Schools to help prepare students to read regular English.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:17 PM
I am not fluent in sign language and have only taught it a little bit. But here is a bump though.
Britty1987
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I have a friend who is deaf and I took ASL for 2 years so I'm familiar with the structure. I don't recommend just using a dictionary. If you can find a local deaf community most would be willing to help for next to nothing or even free. Most of them are so passionate about helping others learn! If you can find a local deaf community your children will have total immersion and will learn very quickly. Can I ask where you live?
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:07 AM

We're in Martinsburg WV.
My niece had gone to a school while she was in middle school for children who were deaf and/or hard of hearing and signing was not only a class, but used in every class. It was neat to watch her learn. I haven't found anything like that around by us at all.

Quoting Britty1987:

I have a friend who is deaf and I took ASL for 2 years so I'm familiar with the structure. I don't recommend just using a dictionary. If you can find a local deaf community most would be willing to help for next to nothing or even free. Most of them are so passionate about helping others learn! If you can find a local deaf community your children will have total immersion and will learn very quickly. Can I ask where you live?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We learned finger spelling first.... and then I found a book on sale for a few bucks called "a word in the hand"... and it's pretty good.   It breaks it down into units like colors, animals, family, neighborhood, etc...   and adds in a little "conversational" words, too.    This is only the first level.

We have done very little of it because it's just extra, but my kids know a few colors, animals, and all of their finger spelling.  However, I do like the book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN