Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is your state homeschool friendly?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
  • 57 Replies

My friend lives in Minnesota and wants to homeschool, but the hoops she has to jump through to do so is pretty intense.

Is your state homeschool friendly or is it more restrictive?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:38 PM
I think mine is for the most part. Louisiana is usually listed as a state that has restrictions but that's only if you choose option one. If you choose option 2 it's far easier.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL!  No.  Pennsylvania is one with the most hoops.

JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:43 PM

It's very homeschool friendly.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:48 PM

very homeschool friendly .

vintage-misha
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

We live in Germany where it is illegal, however, we are American Military and our SOFA agreement allows us to homeschool without penalty here. Due to this we have total and complete freedom. We don't have to declare anything or test at all if we choose. We don't have to document either. It's nice and I'm nervous when we move back to the US that we will get a super strict state. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol - You can say that again!!!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  No.  Pennsylvania is one with the most hoops.

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

the state is oregon

well ive never followed the hs law, but i think its restrictive,

fill out some kinda form that you are homeschooling

test in every other grade

WizardOfAhs
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Washington state here. We only have to give a Declaration of Intent to the superintendent, be 'qualified' to teach, and have yearly testing done in which the results are not submitted unless the state requests them. All in all, I think it's pretty lenient in its requirements. I have heard MN makes it very difficult.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Florida is only a little tighter than Texas. Still, the law is abhorrent and restrictive to me, violates our privacy, and encroaches on my rights and the rights of my child, IMO, and we endeavor to relocate before LO comes of reporting age. I take my US citizenship very seriously, and I believe in my soul it guarantees me the right to be left the F alone by Big Brother. As most of us, I am sure I unwittingly break several laws every day, and that is because we have too many laws on the books to begin with. It will be a real shame if I am forced to knowingly break laws.
ballerina.2006
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Do you have to follow the homeschool laws based on where you are stationed or can you go off of your legal residency state (assuming they are different)? Just curious :)

Quoting vintage-misha:

We live in Germany where it is illegal, however, we are American Military and our SOFA agreement allows us to homeschool without penalty here. Due to this we have total and complete freedom. We don't have to declare anything or test at all if we choose. We don't have to document either. It's nice and I'm nervous when we move back to the US that we will get a super strict state. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN