Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is your state homeschool friendly?

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend lives in Minnesota and wants to homeschool, but the hoops she has to jump through to do so is pretty intense.

Is your state homeschool friendly or is it more restrictive?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Replies (51-57):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM

i don't know! I haven't started yet! But I've heard it's difficult (massachusetts)

I sent in the district forms with no time to spare (the only thing I could find in their requirements was 14 days notice, and they got my paperwork exactly 14days out from 1st day of school), so hope I get my letter of approval before the first day of school. Others I've met in my town got their letter, but they submitted far earlier. 

I am quite a worry wort (oh, let's be honest - I'm experiencing clinical levels of anxiety over this!!) and am convinced they are going to give me a hassle. If the first day of school comes with no letter, I'm not sending my son. It would be detrimental to his psyche to even have to show up for a day!

If I don't get a letter this week, I'm joining and calling the HSLDA and get their advice on how to proceed.  

annabelle125
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I live in NJ.  It is VERY homeschool friendly.  We don't have to notify, test or submit anything ;)

sdgd21
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM
It's like that here, but no attendance. I worry for the kids who may have abusive patent, or parents that don't do anthing with thier kids.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I'm happy with it.  All I have to do is tell them, "hey I'm homeschooling" and keep my own attendance records and that's it.  :)

Quoting sdgd21:

Ours is too, I often worry about the lack of laws here. Lol

Quoting JadeTigr7:

It's very homeschool friendly.

justme00
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
This only we are in AZ.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Texas is completely hs friendly. There are ZERO requirements. Back when I first homeschooled,(in 2001) I was told TX required a letter of intent, which I kept forgetting to do. My dh was just sure the police were coming any minute to arrest me LOL!  I later learned that wasn't true, of course, which made him wonder how on earth there was to be any accountablity. We now both agree that as parents, we are only accountable to God and our children, and He's the one who called us to do this, not the govt.  If my state ever did create hoops to jump through, we'd just go off the grid completely .. 

donnakw
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

In Montana you have to give a letter of intent and then just keep track of the hours, no testing or anything else.  In fact the superintendant here told me he hasn't asked for hours from homeschoolers since he started 10 plus years ago.  So my area of Montana is very lax.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Good ole New York... So nope.
c-lowe
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:16 AM
What do I need to do to start in NC. I am new to this and need some guidance. Please and thank you!
Chelsea Lowe

Quoting bmw29:

I'm in NC. All I'm required to do is notify them once when I open my homeschool, keep shot records on file in my home and test once a year and keep that on file. I hate the testing but it's not too baf and nobody sees it but us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)