Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think? Need input

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this
So my 6yo has a terrible impression of "school" and I don't know why. I loved school at his age, and he really does have fun once he settles down to it. But getting him to start is rough. I know that a routine will help that some, and I'm working on it but we just moved, and DH is on vacation from work so having him home shakes things up a bit too.

On to the question- today was day 2 and he was "never going to do stupid school" and I just came up with an idea that seemed to do the trick but I am very new to this and want advice. I said that every day he brings his good attitude and doesn't have a meltdown or say something is stupid, he gets a poker chip (I just called it a chip, lol). He can trade in 20 chips for a "day off." We'll use that day to do something fun and hopefully educational, like a museum or something.

So IF he gets a chip every day (he won't, lol) that's a day off every 4 weeks. What do you think?

Today after I told him about it, he walked out of the door, turned around, and came back in with a smile and said he was ready to do school. He did all the work assigned (with appropriate breaks) and earned his chip!
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:19 PM
That's a good reward system, as long as it works. ODS never would have tolerated it, and at the end of the day, that kid had no currency whatsoever. Zilch. I think something like that would work well with LO, though.
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It sounds like you have a plan in place that seemed to work.  There is nothing wrong with some positive reinforcement (bribery) to get our kids to do what we need them to do.  Congratluations and good luck!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Sounds like a great idea!

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Good idea!

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM

It sounds like it is working.  I don't see a need to fix something that is working.

oredeb
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

good idea heydooney!! hahaha thats cute 'walked out the door and came back with a smile!!hahahaha smart one!hahaha

thats a good idea hey,

heydooney
by Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this
This is the first day I tried it. Everything works the first day with him.

Quoting romacox:

It sounds like it is working.  I don't see a need to fix something that is working.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I have learned from past experience that reward systems will work but only in the short term for my kids. I hope they work better for you & yours.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Well, even if it is just the first day, I would try it until it didn't work anymore.
You had a good first day. That is great!
Kumbaya
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Yay!  Good for you! bow downIf, for whatever reason, the "magic" starts to wear off and you want to keep some other tactics in your back pocket, I'd like to suggest picking up a copy of "1-2-3 Magic" from your local library.  I was worried about starting homeschool last year when my daughter was 6, because I was sure we'd have power struggles.  I went Googling and found that a bunch of public school teachers were recommending "1-2-3 Magic" for each other.  It has worked like a charm, and I credit that book for being able to get through that first year.  And for being able to have hope that we could do it again for Second Grade this year.  The book suggested just what you did - come up with a reward system :)  Which is how we started (with stickers on a chart), and we are still chugging along today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN