Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling at Night?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
  • 12 Replies

Does anyone here homeschool at night? I'm thinking of doing just this. If, so what times do you "school"? Any tips/tricks? 

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't homeschool we unschool but there have been many nights that My hubby would get home from work & he & the kids would work on a project or hunt for frogs & bugs. We consider all that we do as educational but those times seam to be extra educational some how.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I'm more of a morning person, get it done and out of the way.  BUT, if we need to be working on things, it can flow that way, too.  Are you thinking of doing your work solely at night?  Are your kids good and functional at that time of day?  My kids have already dissolved into amazingly overtired creatures, and we haven't had dinner yet (5pm in CO).  Sigh.

lucsch
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I don't exactly, but sometimes my dd prefers to do her independent assignments the night before, so she can sleep in. I'm fine with that.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:35 PM
The kids will do their work sometimes either early in the morning or and at night. Just depends on their mood. And mine!
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:43 PM

We do about half in the morning and half in the evening.  I found out we can't do math at night cause he WON'T get it done.  We usually start around 6:30-7 when we get done with dinner and school till 9ish, depending on what he has to get done.  We are both more night owls so this is just easier for us and we tend to get more accomplished.

QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm looking to be more flexible for my work schedule. I work a 9-5. I have assigned some independent work during the day but it seems he needs more one on one than he did last year. I think because of it is more challenging. I found this great article about Homework by day and Homeschool by night. 

Click here if you're interested. 

Didn't know if I was alone...

Leahsmom2007
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM

We don't homeschool at *night*, but we start after lunch and go until dinner. We are not morning people. Works great so far!! (Today was only day 1)

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Ebonyjewel28
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:56 PM
It seems to just work out that way for us, and some times its better if we need the day for errands, drs.appt. or just having a sluggish morning! Mine are getting older so I'm more into structure and discipline. I want to prepare them for high school.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM

We have tried to get some things under our belt before bed on busy days, but they aren't really up for actual school work at night.   Maybe some read togethers or some of the more "fun" subjects... but nothing that requires writing or patience on their part.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)