Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do your kids like........

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 42 Replies
About homeschooling the most? Do they like the flexibility or the lateness of getting up?
What is their favorite part about homeschooling?

undefined

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

So far his favorite part has been the projects we have done.  We built a hut last week and today we did a Pirate Math Treasure Hunt.  Tomorrow we are building the Nile.  He is loving the hands on activities and having my undivided attention.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We haven't started yet!  But I'm not sure they will be able to pick just one thing.  They are both pretty excited to have some say in what they learn and to be able to go at their own pace.  They are both excited to get to spend more time with me ;)  They both want to do field trips. 

DD I am sure will enjoy not dealing with the catiness of girl "friends" and worrying about boys liking her or picking on her.  She will enjoy not being embarrassed to raise her hand or ask questions.  DS will enjoy being able to go deeper into topics and go further in the "fun" stuff (math and science, lol), when in PS he was held back to stay on level with his peers.

They will both enjoy not having to get up and spend 45 min with me telling them "get dressed..eat breakfast..comb your hair..brush your teeth..pack your lunch" and then shoving them on the bus at the last second.

I will enjoy not having to rush around getting three people ready every morning.  (I am so not a morning person)  I will still be working, but it looks like it will be a lot of afternoons (keeping my fingers crossed there!)  I am loving filling out my lesson planner and picking stuff for them to do (ok I'm not loving *all* of it, but I like most of it!)

I am excited to get to see DH and spend a little time with him each morning when he gets home, and for dinner most nights after he sleeps during the day.

Oh we just have so much to be excited for right now! lol

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome stuff! Especially the Nile. Hope you keep us posted as to how your projects are going. :)

Quoting kmath:

So far his favorite part has been the projects we have done.  We built a hut last week and today we did a Pirate Math Treasure Hunt.  Tomorrow we are building the Nile.  He is loving the hands on activities and having my undivided attention.

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL, thanks!  I will try to post some pictures here soon.  We had to move the Nile project to tomorrow cause today got a little crazy.  We are having fun and we are both loving it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Awesome stuff! Especially the Nile. Hope you keep us posted as to how your projects are going. :)

Quoting kmath:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I love when we move at our own pace. The kids like that they can get up early in the morning and do their school on their own and get down early and then have the time to do their "extra" curricular work. They get to pick what they want to do for projects or reports or find the Internet info on their particular subject.
I am not a morning person either. :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We haven't started yet!  But I'm not sure they will be able to pick just one thing.  They are both pretty excited to have some say in what they learn and to be able to go at their own pace.  They are both excited to get to spend more time with me ;)  They both want to do field trips. 

DD I am sure will enjoy not dealing with the catiness of girl "friends" and worrying about boys liking her or picking on her.  She will enjoy not being embarrassed to raise her hand or ask questions.  DS will enjoy being able to go deeper into topics and go further in the "fun" stuff (math and science, lol), when in PS he was held back to stay on level with his peers.

They will both enjoy not having to get up and spend 45 min with me telling them "get dressed..eat breakfast..comb your hair..brush your teeth..pack your lunch" and then shoving them on the bus at the last second.

I will enjoy not having to rush around getting three people ready every morning.  (I am so not a morning person)  I will still be working, but it looks like it will be a lot of afternoons (keeping my fingers crossed there!)  I am loving filling out my lesson planner and picking stuff for them to do (ok I'm not loving *all* of it, but I like most of it!)

I am excited to get to see DH and spend a little time with him each morning when he gets home, and for dinner most nights after he sleeps during the day.

Oh we just have so much to be excited for right now! lol

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, really.  They've never been to school, so to them, homeschooling is just life.  You know what I mean?  They don't know anything different, so it is just all perfectly normal to them.  

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM

So, they don't have a favorite part of it?  School was normal life for DS until this year and his favorite part was math. 

Quoting misselphaba:

I don't really.  They've never been to school, so to them, homeschooling is just life.  You know what I mean?  They don't know anything different, so it is just all perfectly normal to them.  

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

They have favorite subjects.  Right now, they are both loving the Draw Write Now book.  I think, if I asked them, both of them would say "everything".  LOL

Quoting kmath:

So, they don't have a favorite part of it?  School was normal life for DS until this year and his favorite part was math. 

Quoting misselphaba:

I don't really.  They've never been to school, so to them, homeschooling is just life.  You know what I mean?  They don't know anything different, so it is just all perfectly normal to them.  

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they like the flexibility of doing school where ever they want to.  They like being able to go at their own pace as well.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

That's difficult to answer because it changes so much.  They like the fact that we start school as the PS bus passes and then they know exactly how much extra time they get to play because they see the bus pass bringing the kids home in the evening.

They LOVE science, history and geography because our local PS didn't teach much of that at all (once a week) but we teach it every day.  Also we "do" more.  WE build the viking ship, the castle, the Colliseum.  We have at least 3 experiments going on each week for science. 

They like that we discuss more than we write (they are young).  In PS they had to write so that they could make sure each kid "got it" but I don't have to.

I like that I can take the time to have the talks when they are on the topic.  I don't really know how to explain that.  Like yesterday, my oldest (8) asked me why we aren't naming the baby goat.  I explained that Minnie wasn't supposed to get pregnant because she had just kidded in January, so we hadn't taken her to the other farm to get impregnated.  Therefore I know it is her father's baby and so there's much more chance of defects.  So we will be culling her when she is big enough.  It launched a VERY long talk about reproduction, puberty, castration, mating seasons, culling, heredity, choromosomes,....it was a good 2 hour long discussion.  I LOVED it!!!  We never had that kind of time to really sink into a conversation and let it flow till its conclusion when he was in the PS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)