Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do your kids like........

Posted by   + Show Post
About homeschooling the most? Do they like the flexibility or the lateness of getting up?
What is their favorite part about homeschooling?

undefined

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Ha my lil guy wanted the socialization of being in school.  At this point nothing really is different for him.  He fights me on actually doing work.  So trying to figure out how to get him to want to get this stuff done is driving me bonkers.  I try making it fun but he'd rather be watching TV or outside playing in the dirt.

Chrysantheum
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

My lo likes cooking, and getting to play online when her sister is in school :P (homeschooling pre-k because the place we moved to does pre-k for the 'special' kids and i still wanted her learning more this year!)

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Ds loves the freedom, getting to sleep late, doing academics while being comfortable on the couch, being able to learn at his own pace, and all the amazing field trips we go on.

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

the kids ps friends would tell them about ps, how late they have to stay in school, not getting any help from teacher cuz room is so crowded, all the bullying on the playground,

so what my kids like the best is not having to stay that long , they could be done with their work in 4 hours and go on with what they needed to do, and no homework

favorite part, getting done as fast as they want, field trips all  the time, nature walks every day, hands on learning, not sitting at a desk all the time, get their chores done sooner

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:42 PM
Yeah, I think kids do like the "doing" more. Who wouldn't? They don't have to just sit and learn from memorization, recitation and lecturing to the point of hating school/ learning altogether.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That's difficult to answer because it changes so much.  They like the fact that we start school as the PS bus passes and then they know exactly how much extra time they get to play because they see the bus pass bringing the kids home in the evening.

They LOVE science, history and geography because our local PS didn't teach much of that at all (once a week) but we teach it every day.  Also we "do" more.  WE build the viking ship, the castle, the Colliseum.  We have at least 3 experiments going on each week for science. 

They like that we discuss more than we write (they are young).  In PS they had to write so that they could make sure each kid "got it" but I don't have to.

I like that I can take the time to have the talks when they are on the topic.  I don't really know how to explain that.  Like yesterday, my oldest (8) asked me why we aren't naming the baby goat.  I explained that Minnie wasn't supposed to get pregnant because she had just kidded in January, so we hadn't taken her to the other farm to get impregnated.  Therefore I know it is her father's baby and so there's much more chance of defects.  So we will be culling her when she is big enough.  It launched a VERY long talk about reproduction, puberty, castration, mating seasons, culling, heredity, choromosomes,....it was a good 2 hour long discussion.  I LOVED it!!!  We never had that kind of time to really sink into a conversation and let it flow till its conclusion when he was in the PS.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Does he like games? Maybe you can interest him in learning where one of his favorite game comes from and how long it has been out???

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

Ha my lil guy wanted the socialization of being in school.  At this point nothing really is different for him.  He fights me on actually doing work.  So trying to figure out how to get him to want to get this stuff done is driving me bonkers.  I try making it fun but he'd rather be watching TV or outside playing in the dirt.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  My oldest is constantly telling me we are "out of our seats" way more than he was in school.  And he asked if I could even imagine building a Viking ship with 20 kids.  LOL.  I know that could have made little individual ones, but our took up most of the living room and we sat in it and pretended to attack a town in Gaul.  It was just as much fun for me as for them!

Quoting kirbymom:

Yeah, I think kids do like the "doing" more. Who wouldn't? They don't have to just sit and learn from memorization, recitation and lecturing to the point of hating school/ learning altogether.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Sounds like fun. What games does you LO like to play?

Quoting Chrysantheum:

My lo likes cooking, and getting to play online when her sister is in school :P (homeschooling pre-k because the place we moved to does pre-k for the 'special' kids and i still wanted her learning more this year!)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Don't you just love freedom? :)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Ds loves the freedom, getting to sleep late, doing academics while being comfortable on the couch, being able to learn at his own pace, and all the amazing field trips we go on.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
lol they actually had trouble answering this question. They have never really been to real school. So this is what they told me.
Alex age 8: No mean kids.
Emma age 5: sleeping in
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)