Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

First Day Ever!! Went as Expected.... ? Advice??

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

Today was my first day homeschooling DD. She is in first grade this year.

The day went okay. She had her moments of tantrums. She has some ADD, and is an angel child, except for some occasional moments of outbursts. No violence, just some rolling on the floor, yelling kind of thing. My DH and I--neither of us were like that as children at all (neither are our other two children). So, any how, her first tantrum was with the calendar. She through a fit that the "exes" on the calendar  days were not "perfect". I allowed her to calm down before we continued. Then, it was that the "a"'s she was writing for spelling were not "perfect". And lastly, she had trouble sounding out a few words.

Those were only the negatives though. She loved science, and art. She did well enough in math. Had fun playing outside.

Does anyone else have a more "difficult" child?

I know she has perfectionism issues. We've been talking her through them for 2 years. I thought I did well. I only ran out of patience at the very, very end of the day. I should have just stopped there for the day. I wish some of these things were more hands on for her, but reading  and writing aren't very easy for hands on.

Any one else have experience, advice?

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Is she in kindergarten?

My oldest is like yours. I am going to have him evaluated for sensory processing disorder.
Leahsmom2007
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:08 PM

She is in first grade this year. We have known for sure she is sensitive to sound. Possibly light. Is that kind of what you mean?

Quoting Precious333:

Is she in kindergarten?

My oldest is like yours. I am going to have him evaluated for sensory processing disorder.

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Yep! I would look into that.

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

She is in first grade this year. We have known for sure she is sensitive to sound. Possibly light. Is that kind of what you mean?

Quoting Precious333:

Is she in kindergarten?

Leahsmom2007
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I don't know a lot about sensory processing disorder. Do you have any links, or know how it might cause this behavior?

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Quoting Precious333:

Is she in kindergarten?

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure
http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html
And
http://brainbalancecenters.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=f2908cfe82e62c6200ba865d7&id=bdab4f7c55

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Sorry to keep bothering you, but I don't know a lot about sensory processing disorder. Do you have any links, or know how it might cause this behavior?

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting Leahsmom2007:

Quoting Precious333:

Is she in kindergarten?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I think this was my problem as a child.   I had the most horrendous fits and my parents were pretty clueless as to how to deal with me.

Of course, my mother was emotionally, mentally, and sometimes even physically abusive herself.   So that probably made things much worse.

But anyway, I would stomp my feet, scream, spit, attack myself by clawing and pulling out my hair, beat my head on the floor, etc...    I did them for a pretty long time, too.   I wasn't just a LITTLE child when I would still have fits...

I wish I had gotten the help I needed.   It has been a very long road.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM

You might also want to look into whether or not your child is gifted.  A lot of gifted children have a problem with perfectionism, and it will literally shut them down.  My oldest is a challenge, and those fits can be a bit much.  He's gifted (no problem with perfectionism, as far as I can see!) and also has (undiagnosed) sensory issues.  You might want to try making things intentionally imperfect for a bit and practice that being all right.  Good luck on your journey!

oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

sounds like you did a great job for your first day leahsmom,

what about taking turns reading with her? would that help?

or using a stick to write in the dirt or sand or something simular? air writing with a finger and then on the paper?

i also read where one mom had he child use one of those exercise balls and let the child bounce on it while doing her work, it worked good for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN