Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Timberdoodle Reviews/ Info

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 4 Replies

Hiya, kind of late to be asking this question, but is anyone familiar with Timberdoodle?

I have ordered their 3rd grade curriculum, it should be here any day now.

Specifically has anyone ever used Teaching Textbook for math? The reviews online I have read are mixed...

How about Language Smarts?

Apologia?

ANY input would be appreciated, thanks!

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AmyMamie
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:39 AM

We love Timberdoodle, but so far have only used it for preschool and kindergarten curriculums.  I do trust their judgement on which books and programs are great for teaching.  They always seem to be right on with that.  The 10 reviewers on the Timberdoodle website made the Teaching Textbook Math sound like a great thing.  I hope it proves to be a wonderful curriculum for you!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Teaching Textbooks tends to run behind other math curricula, so take advantage of their placement test before ordering - it isn't abnormal at all for an average student to use a year (or even two) ahead in that program.

We haven't used Language Smarts.

We choose not to use Apologia because we do not feel the Young Earth pov is accurate.

Good luck on your journey!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:38 AM

My oldest daughter used Teaching Textbooks pre-alg. 

I liked some of the style of it and I personally enjoyed reading some of the "history" in it (my daughter found it distracting though). 

It seemed too easy. It had way too much review before getting to the pre-alg. It is like covering every grade level in one book! I get that pre-alg is review to some degree, but this was a bit much, imo. Over half way into the book and THEN you get to the pre-alg concepts. 

We used this several years ago and I think someone was saying that they have since revised it.  

My kids did not like Apologia (botany). They felt that it was boring and I had to jump ship on it soon after starting. I ended up using the notebooking journal and I just used the textbook more as a guide for finding related books on the topic. They are enjoying that MUCH better. I also found some of the religious materials in Apologia distracting from the lessons.

We use a different curriculum as our main science program. My daughter wanted to also learn about plants - so I picked up Apologia botany as something extra.

Apologia is lacking areas in science for their elementary program. Maybe someone else can explain what the reasoning is for this design in APologia.

I have never heard of Language Smarts 

almondpigeon
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM

we use timberdoodle too, but she's in 2nd grade and hasn't used the teaching textbook yet.  (the first year it's offered in the boxed set is 3rd grade).   her language arts book this year is part of the language smarts program and so far, i like it.  it's very cut and dried, but she is doing well with it.

i'm not famiar with apologia

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)