Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you ever.....???

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello Family of Teachers, and Outstanding Mothers, 

Have any of you used CTC Math..?  I am homeschooling 3 children this year.  My son is 9 ( loves math-- does very well), and my daughter 11 ( likes math, no problem), my other son 7 ( he doesn't mind-- when he gets started he enjoys it).  I use worksheets some, and it free(s) up time for me to do things.  I have yet to find a really engaging math portal which is stimulating, and concise.  They like IXL.  I know CTC math is a bit pricey--guess I just need to hear some feedback from trusted people.  Thanks in advance.

Onetoknow4

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:04 AM

is this it?    http://ctcmath.com/

onetoknow4
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yes... the info came to me in an email this morning from "Free homeschool deals".

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Wow, I was just looking at it, and I'm not as impressed with it as it costs.   $30 monthly????   That's an expensive math.

I enjoy Math U See with my kids and it is no where near that expensive.   You watch a 10-20 minute DVD lesson, have a teachers manual if your kid needs more lesson, you have practice work, then assess the mastery with a test and practical use.   Then move on.   It's neat.   I like the way the guy teaches (visually, too)...

onetoknow4
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I'm willing to look into what works.  We are budgeting as most families do, so I'm very interested in opinions of what works and what doesn't seem to be worth the money.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

At $30 a month, that's at least $300 for a school year of 10 months. It may indeed be worth it, but I would hesitate (even with a generous budget here) because you can buy the cream of the crop of other math curricula for half the price.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:19 PM

After looking at the Parents tab, this appears to be more of a supplement or tutor -vs- a full curriculum. Have you e-mailed them to ask if it's intended to be a full comprehensive math program?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

onetoknow4
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Thank you so much... I can always learn what to look for and ask more about things (especially something this important)  from my "cafemom" group...:)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
As you know, I don't use a lot of pre made curriculum and I was just wondering, does Math U See have anything on algebra and higher math?

Quoting KrissyKC:

Wow, I was just looking at it, and I'm not as impressed with it as it costs.   $30 monthly????   That's an expensive math.

I enjoy Math U See with my kids and it is no where near that expensive.   You watch a 10-20 minute DVD lesson, have a teachers manual if your kid needs more lesson, you have practice work, then assess the mastery with a test and practical use.   Then move on.   It's neat.   I like the way the guy teaches (visually, too)...

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:24 AM

I haven't used it, but here's a bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)