Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How American HomeSchoolers measure up! must read!!!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
  • 18 Replies
4 moms liked this

something i found on another site!

Homeschooled: How American Homeschoolers Measure Up

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

It's pretty cool seeing it broke down like that.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this

I feel better about my spending seeing the $500 PER KID.  :)  I have hundreds left to spend!!!  :)  Thanks for posting.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:35 PM
That 17% representational statistic for people who choose to homeschool due to poor academic standards at their area schools surprises me. I have always thought it would be a much more powerful reason for homeschooling. In my town, amongst the homeschooling parents I have asked or who have volunteered the information, I think that percentage is MUCH higher, maybe in the 60%-70% range. This IS Florida, though, and all the local schools just fell by at least one letter grade on that arbitrary grading public school scale. (Yes, "we" were subjected to Indiana's education guy, too, thanks to that snake Jeb Bush.)
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:58 PM

$500? I wonder how they figure that amount?

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM

I bet when they asked for that information they wanted the #1 reason, because we fall under all those reasons for choosing to homeschool but our #1 reason back when we first started was that the school was failing to protect & educate our son.

Quoting tuffymama:

That 17% representational statistic for people who choose to homeschool due to poor academic standards at their area schools surprises me. I have always thought it would be a much more powerful reason for homeschooling. In my town, amongst the homeschooling parents I have asked or who have volunteered the information, I think that percentage is MUCH higher, maybe in the 60%-70% range. This IS Florida, though, and all the local schools just fell by at least one letter grade on that arbitrary grading public school scale. (Yes, "we" were subjected to Indiana's education guy, too, thanks to that snake Jeb Bush.)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:52 PM
That's great..I want to post it on Facebook lol. And print it to hand out.

I wonder when this was done because the numbers could be even different. I know that NH now offers a virtual public school and that's not on this list..so I'm sure some other things have changed recently as well.
1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Great info!  As per cost per child per year depends I guess on what programs you use and what type of homeschooling you are doing.  My son is in Kindergarten I have a huge bin of arts and craft type supplies that I bought here and there over the years.  I don't need to buy art supplies for the next couple of years.  I have tons of pens and pencils because hubby is also finishing up a degree so I don't have to buy new supplies for that either.  If you are using free online programs and printing out work sheets about the only thing you are spending appreciable amounts of money on are Paper and Ink for the printer. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it's probably accurate. Most that I know spend less than that for early elementary, about that for late elementary, and more than that for middle and high school.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

$500? I wonder how they figure that amount?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Pretty neat break down, and I'd have to say I agree with it for the most part.  We don't homeschool for typical reasons but most homeschoolers I have met do so for either religious reasons or safety issues at the school.

Homeschooling has grown a lot over the past 20 years, and becoming a lot more common place all over the country.  I will be interested in seeing how many homeschoolers in this day and age grow up and go onto homeschool their own children.  More and more people who get homeschooled are saying they'd want to with their children.  Having been homeschooled in a time period where it wasn't very common, I always felt that homeschooling my own children was an option I wanted to at least offer them, which I do.  It would be interesting to see just how much, if at all, the percentage of people that homeschool increases or decreases over the years.

Kumbaya
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for sharing this.  It is a very well-thought-out presentation.  The colors and graphics are beautiful.  Stylistically, it gets an A+ and the content is great too.  Things that are that graphically well-put-together usually don't pack a lot of punch content-wise.  Nicely done.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)