Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How can I make this work?

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 10 Replies
We homeschooled last year. It went pretty good but my toddler made things difficult. Especially Science projects and things of that nature. We were pretty child-led. She is in 4th grade btw.

We prayed and prayed and decided to try a couple of the nearby charter schools (we were very unhappy with our district public school). She didn't get into either. So we're back to trying to find a way to make it work.

There are a couple of part time academies for homeschoolers but we can't afford it.

The only other idea I could come up with is finding her somewhere to go a few days a week for a few hours. Having trouble of thinking of where though. My nearest SAHM friend is 20 minutes away. I don't know anyone nearby that is home during the day. I'm going to check out babysitters. Also that website designed to pair working HSers with other HS families.

I know she could do her work in the evening but these two kids seriously need some time apart. My 3yo thinks big sister is her puppet. I know I need to work on this.

Does anyone have any other ideas of how we could make our HS situation work?
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM
I have found a lot of help with issues like this online. Just google "how to homeschool with a toddler," and you will get lots of help. I wish I could help you personally, but my kids are over fifteen years apart, so it hasn't been an issue in my family yet. I know it can be done without sending your daughter out of the house, because there are so many parents of multiple children in my local HG. You can do it! It takes time to find a rhythm sometimes.
oredeb
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

well what did with my younger ones was include them in what we were doing, teaching them that there was a time when they couldnt interrupt us.

another thing i did was tape up a shoe box with special toys inside and when i needed to teach one on one with one of the kids i'd give the younger child the taped box and tell her to open it and she can have the toy. it always took her a while so worked for us.

does your younger child take a nap? teach your other child then?

also what i did was to teach the kids when im helping another child, you cant interrupt till im done, it took a bit of time but they finally got it. being firm and consistent in doing that every day helped us.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM
What website are you talking about that pairs homeschoolers never heard of it b4.? Also look into kids from the nearby colleges I know it wouldnt be hard to find a studentnwilling to watch yr toddler in home for a few hours as a mothers helper a few daysna week for cheap. Heck when I was in school I woulda done it for a few home cooked meals lol
amandae21
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this
It's http://parentsforliberty.org/join-connect

I just signed up and don't have access yet so I can't say how useful it might be. Great idea though.

Quoting marrionsmommy:

What website are you talking about that pairs homeschoolers never heard of it b4.? Also look into kids from the nearby colleges I know it wouldnt be hard to find a studentnwilling to watch yr toddler in home for a few hours as a mothers helper a few daysna week for cheap. Heck when I was in school I woulda done it for a few home cooked meals lol

amandae21
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this
She will only nap if big sister isn't home.

My big kid is a workbook lover so maybe I should get the toddler some to do at the same time... DH wants her to start writing letters and tracing anyway.

Quoting oredeb:

well what did with my younger ones was include them in what we were doing, teaching them that there was a time when they couldnt interrupt us.

another thing i did was tape up a shoe box with special toys inside and when i needed to teach one on one with one of the kids i'd give the younger child the taped box and tell her to open it and she can have the toy. it always took her a while so worked for us.

does your younger child take a nap? teach your other child then?

also what i did was to teach the kids when im helping another child, you cant interrupt till im done, it took a bit of time but they finally got it. being firm and consistent in doing that every day helped us.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:10 PM

I would let my son when he was 3 years old in the same room as my other children homeschooling, but he wasn't to mess with them and had to do something educational too.  If he didn't want to then he wouldn't be allowed in that room, and if he disrupted the others while they worked then he got punished.  For the most part he decided to do school because he hated playing in a room by himself.

Maybe make her bedroom, or a certain part of the house off limits to your son while his sister works, set rules and repercussions if those rules are broken?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Start teaching 3 yr old boundaries for one.   Then, find outlets for your 4th grader that are just for 4th graders... sports, library events, etc...   My older two go to a library book club once a month and Choir weekly.    They are allowed up later than the littles and they get to do things the others don't.   The younger ones are taught to respect them, too.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Boxes.  We have little activity boxes for my littles to do school too.  This is the first year that my youngest is actually doing some sit down school work (he's 4).  But his day is MUCH shorter than big brothers.  We have little plastic shoe boxes with fun stuff for him to do.  He also plays on pbskids.org and abcya.com for about half an hour each day (those ones are free) we used to pay for readingeggs.com and abcmouse.com.  Thy are fun and the littles are still learning.

Last year I could keep Q occupied for about 25 minutes with each box.  They have to be things that aren't just toys and that are engaging, keep them special.  We have beans and measuring cups.  a baggie of fingerpaint (tape over the seal to keep it inside and they can practice "writing").

I also let my youngest help with stuff in the kitchen.  He would wash dishes (or tomatoes or whatever).  Splashing in the water kept him occupied and the clean up was worth the quiet time.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:29 PM

By 3 yo there should definitely be boundaries in place. That was the age DD was when we started homeschooling. The boys were 1sst and 3rd grades.

I would teach in short burts so the boys got their lesson and then while thy worked independentl DD and I would play or read.

She had certain toys that ONLY came out during school time and she learned to play inependently.

We used a booster seat at the table for her by that age and some of he time she sat at the table with us and do activities. Sometimes she would color, or we would spread pudding on her tray for her to "draw" in, or give  her things to string on shoelaces, etc.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm Maybe and Aqua doodle mat for the toddler to keep her busy so you can work with the older child.  Right now i have an 8 month old girl and a Kinder kid so it's interesting when both are 'busy' and the older doesn't want to sit for lessons 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)