Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Abeka vs. Life Pac

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 8 Replies

How many of you have used Abeka or Life Pac? We are currently enrolled in K12 and my third grader is struggling already this year. I was looking into Abeka or Alpha Omega Life Pac. I was wondering what everyones feelings were on these.

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this

We tried some of lifepac (language arts)...   My kids would say they loved it because it was a colorful and simple (fun) workbook.    However, it had very little actual "meat" and learning to it.   They retained pretty much nothing and it ended up just being busy work type stuff.   They were already great spellers, so even the spelling lists did little for them.

My favorite english is the very traditional approach that is used in the Mennonite schools.   (Rod and Staff Publishers).

I like Math U See so far, but I'm pretty sure that my math minded daughter is going to have to switch to Saxon maths in high school, but we'll see how that goes.   Mainly for her, though, it's because she is seriously considering a strong science/math based career.

As for Science, I cannot praise Apologia enough for their elementary stuff.   Their older things look great, too, but I'm not there yet.

For Social Studies, we usually study it topically.   I've used curriculum, but I have previously put together some of my own topics, too.   We enjoyed the first year of My Father's World, which was exploring countries and cultures.   Really terrific geography basis.   This year, we are using Rod & Staff's 5th grade North American Heritage studies... (History of North America)...   It's a nice base... I plan on doing lots of reading (book box) about it.

I cannot specifically say anything about Abeka, never used ONE set of curriculum before... I always pick and choose.  However, I LOVE picking up their reader books at garage sales and stuff because my kids can spend hours just flipping through them and enjoying them.

tyely
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:46 AM
We will be trying Abeka this year, because that is what the kids used previously in their private school...and they both did wonderful with it. But this is my first year home schooling and I really have nothing to compare it too.
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM

ive used both, i like both for different reasons, and would never use just one curr. i would pick the stuff i liked from each and use! but i like abeka a bit better than aop, you can do more stuff with it (i think) workbooks are ok for some subjects but doing them all the time is hard(my opinion) unless your kids love doing work books!!  abeka has good science, history, bible stuff, lower grade english(but i like rod and staff better) spelling is good, those spelling and poetry books are fun, abeka is known for being harder than some of the curr.  i dont like there math at all. perfer saxon math,

how does your child learn, hands on, visual, auditory? what subject does child do good in?

JadeTigr7
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I use abeka for Language arts, writing and arithmetic, All About Spelling for Spelling, and My Father's World for Bible, Science, History, Music and Art.

I like abeka, but the history and science was lacking imo and their spelling was not at all working.

You don't have to do all or nothing. :) 

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

My son hated lifepacs.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM

We are getting ready to start our 3rd year with Abeka....my girls LOVE it.  It works very well for them.  I have one that I may switch to Son Light in the future, but we will see what the future holds for her.

Britty1987
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:02 PM
We used Abeka when I was in school and I liked it, but it can be a little overwhelming at times.
amanda.lyn
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I personally felt that Abeka was stronger. But I never really used just one curriculum, I always mixed and matched what worked best for us!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)