Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you cope....?????

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm home schooling for the first time ever.  Kindergarten for my 5 year old and going through FL Virtual School Full Time.  It's an online public school program and my son when he applies himself is past the point of counting/recognizing numbers and can do basic small number addition and subtraction.  He can also recognize and say his alphabet/shapes/colors.  I did things at a very gradual pace.  Now that things have to be more structured just trying to get him to write his name and form his letters properly is a struggle.  He's fighting me on things he already knows.  How do you keep from losing your temper, and your mind and throwing in the towel.  Because at this point I'm about ready to duct tape my child to the wall. 

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this
I could never, ever, ever deal with FL virtual school. Ever. Neither of my children are cookie cutter kids who could or would function with that level of rigidity. I don't think there's a problem with your son or his ability to apply himself; I believe the program is at fault.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
This....exactly.or skip what he knows, have him test out and move on.

Quoting tuffymama:

I could never, ever, ever deal with FL virtual school. Ever. Neither of my children are cookie cutter kids who could or would function with that level of rigidity. I don't think there's a problem with your son or his ability to apply himself; I believe the program is at fault.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I break up the program but just trying to get him to write his name was a chore. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I tried to do K12 with my oldest 2 boys.  It was a disaster.  If they will not allow you to test him out of the things he already knows, I would consider dropping k12 and homeschooling yourself.  It is easier than you would think.  I am now traditionally homeschooling 3 boys and they are all above grade level according to k12.  Kindergarten was absolutely the most difficult.  At the beginning they creep at a snail's pace and then after their winter break they ramp up.  If you continue to go at the pace they are going with him, you will have no time to actually teach the stuff he doesn't know when you do get there.

Here's what to do to circum navigate them:  Have him do 1 or 2 "warm-up problems" from the worksheet he's actually on and then have him work on one of the worksheets from the beginning of the second semester.  But only do this if you really really want to stay in such a structured system.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Thanks ladies the reason I'm going with a public school program is because hubby is in his final year of law school and working part time for his internship so money really is TIGHT!  We live in a crazy expensive area of FL because of proximity to hubby's school/work and I'm a SAHM with an 8 month old just now getting in to everything, crawling all over the place.  I picked up a bunch of stuff just at Walmart and $1 Tree to get my son started early and I have all kinds of flash cards and such all over the place.  We haven't worked with counting money yet and such and we haven't gone heavy on word recognition and spelling yet.  No science or art because my boy LOVES TO PUT EVERY THING in his MOUTH!  So I'm just trying to figure out if I should just disenroll him or test him out of some stuff or what...  I'm suppose to phone conference with the teacher either today or tomorrow.  I'll ask her about how she thinks I can tailor this more to his work style. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Kindergarten can be done CHEAP!!  LOL.  I'm doing a pre-k right now and other than Math U See (which we just bought so he could be like his big brothers) we spent about $50 on his stuff and that was mostly glue, paper, and scissors.

If the teacher seems to not want to work with you and let him test ahead, I suggest telling her that you are thinking of unenrolling.  It took about a week for them to change their tune when I told them I was dropping them.  It was a week too long for me, but if you want to stay with them (which let's face it the free stuff is Awesome!!) then tell them you are angry enough to leave and see if they change their ways.

Quoting 1CynfulDlite:

Thanks ladies the reason I'm going with a public school program is because hubby is in his final year of law school and working part time for his internship so money really is TIGHT!  We live in a crazy expensive area of FL because of proximity to hubby's school/work and I'm a SAHM with an 8 month old just now getting in to everything, crawling all over the place.  I picked up a bunch of stuff just at Walmart and $1 Tree to get my son started early and I have all kinds of flash cards and such all over the place.  We haven't worked with counting money yet and such and we haven't gone heavy on word recognition and spelling yet.  No science or art because my boy LOVES TO PUT EVERY THING in his MOUTH!  So I'm just trying to figure out if I should just disenroll him or test him out of some stuff or what...  I'm suppose to phone conference with the teacher either today or tomorrow.  I'll ask her about how she thinks I can tailor this more to his work style. 

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I would never use a program like that but especially not with a young child of 5. At 5 playing & interacting is the best way to learn & it dose not have to cost anymore money then you would normally spend on things to entertain him. You want to use play-doe don't buy the expensive pack make your own for penny's on the dollar, the same goes for sidewalk chalk, finger paint, bubbles & many other things (they also qualify as science experiments).

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM

You could go structured and fun for very, very little money at this age.

Singapore Essentials - $20

Phonics Pathways - $10 (used on Amazon - get the previous edition, not the latest)

Magic School Bus via Netflix (science!)

Picture Book Activities (a few bucks used on Amazon - it's like Five in a Row, but better, in my opinion)

Handwriting book - like $10

See - you just did Kindergarten for under $50!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I think kindergarten can be free!!! So much free ideas on-line, free downloads, free coloring pages, free websites with learning games, games you already have (card games for math, etc), use art supplies you already have, read all your books for free from the library.

I'd get out of the on-line program too. One-size-fits-all approach that is probably not the least bit engaging or relevant!

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I could never ask my son to do anything when he was that age. I am sorry, I can't help =(

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN