Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you cover it a couple times?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 15 Replies

School has begun down the road at the brick and mortar and with it comes the questions from my friends.  Here's the first one:

Sam:  Did you look at the topics list that Mrs. ______ sent home?  They are covering habitats in geography in October, habitats in history in December, and habitats in science in March.  What's up with that?

Melanie: Well they have to cover it from different angles.  Like the geography one will talk about how the different habitats are generally found in certain latitudes and in history they'll probably talk about how the ice age changed the habitats or something and then in science they'll cover the vegetations and animals in each habitat.

Sam (turning to me): So do you cover things over and over again for different classes?

What would YOUR answer be?

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:03 AM
4 moms liked this

Here's what I said:  No, I cover a topic in depth once during the year.  I integrate all of the "classes" together so we stay on the topic for an extended time during the day and really just immerse ourselves in it.  We have really great discussions that kind of twine through all of the classes.  And really...life isn't segmented into classes.  Life is just life.  You can't compartmentalize it so much.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't cover things over and over (unless he needs to - like in math).  We just go through his curriculum in the order it comes.  I do make sure he has a good understanding of every topic we cover.  Many topics and subjects do tend to come up again and again, but we just let that happen naturally rather than purposely revisit something that we already covered.  Unless ds wants to, of course.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it depends on whether you teach themes or units.

With a theme, you hit the same topic in different portions of different subjects.

With a unit, you do all of those classes around the topic at the same time and then move on to the next unit.

You cover the same material either way.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I see nothing wrong with teaching it the way the school is either (this time)...   I mean, learning about habitats once and then later using that information again in a different way is fine...  however, it's not the ONLY way to do things.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'd cover it once and include as many subjects as I could, unit study style. I'd also hit it every other year or so, building and expanding the topic as they got older. But I'm like you, I wouldn't slice it up into different classes. That just seems like a time waster to me and disjointed for the kids.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'd cover it once and include as many subjects as I could, unit study style. I'd also hit it every other year or so, building and expanding the topic as they got older. But I'm like you, I wouldn't slice it up into different classes. That just seems like a time waster to me and disjointed for the kids.

We have covered volcanoes three different years, so I do come back to a topic.  But never covered a topic 3 times in the same year.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Quoting KrissyKC:

I see nothing wrong with teaching it the way the school is either (this time)...   I mean, learning about habitats once and then later using that information again in a different way is fine...  however, it's not the ONLY way to do things.

I'm not saying the school's way is wrong.  But I get these questions a lot during the first part of the year.  I typically find that I don't do anything the way that the school does. LOL

In this instance, I think the school's way does make the topic more disjointed in the minds of most kids.  It really wasn't until I got much older that I realized that some things went together.  Like I had learned that the tundra was in the north and that the tundra had short scrub plants but never connected the two facts together to make some kind of cohesive this causes that statement, you know?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's very good to tie in a theme across the curriculum.

DD's private school does this for history. This year they are doing Rome - it will be covered in history, literature, and writing class. Last year was Ancient Greece and Greek Mythology. The entire school covers one time period and applies it across the curriculum.

Yes, as a homeschooler, I try to do that as well. Before decided to send Red to school this year, we would have covered world physical geography, tying it to physical science (same things, different angles and approaches - diving into different aspects dependent on the subject field) - I would have pulled writing assignments from that as well.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We don't cover things over and over (unless he needs to - like in math).  We just go through his curriculum in the order it comes.  I do make sure he has a good understanding of every topic we cover.  Many topics and subjects do tend to come up again and again, but we just let that happen naturally rather than purposely revisit something that we already covered.  Unless ds wants to, of course.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We cover it all at once!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)