Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what do you do when your kids are uncooperative? **edit**

Posted by   + Show Post

for the past 2 days, both kids are being difficult...neither wants to "do school" and i'm spending  a lot of time telling them "come back here...what are you doing?  we're not finished".  this is new and i'm not sure how to handle it.

ideas?

**edit**....for whatever reason, both kids were amazing students today.  not only were they attentive and focused, but they didn't want to take breaks and made up all the missed work from the past 2 days.  

i think brownies were the key, lol.  i actually had to make brownies for a girl scout ceremony last night and we had a lot left over.  they both wanted brownies this morning, so i told them it was okay.  sugar rush?  probably -- but it worked like a charm!!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh, and we play tons of games, too. I make up a list of trivial pursuit type questions based on the lessons we are working on and we play trivial pursuit that way. If they get a question wrong, we talk about it right then and I recycle the question a few turns later. They LOVE it when I answer a question wrong - then they get to tell me about what I got wrong.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM
6 moms liked this

Bake brownies. Seriously.

Bake a fresh batch of brownies, set them in the middle of the table, serve everyone a nice cold glass of milk, and try again.

Everything is better with brownies :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

almondpigeon
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM
it was technically for the kindergartener (he has a thing for rainbows) but they always participate in each other's projects & crafts. he had a lot of fun making the chain...but when it was time to switch subjects, he said he was finished. and I should say he is only 4 so we are doing a modified kinder year.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but my kids would have been bored to tears with that lesson on rainbows.   That would have been a preschool project and discussion, but not second grade level.   They would have walked away after a short time, too.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Oh. He's 4. I have one of those. Mine is doing kindergarten work (and some first grade, by second semester I think).

Four year olds have short attention spans. Break it up. Do one subject/project, break, do another later, and so on. There is no way, no matter how academically advanced my 4 year old may be, that he would be able to focus on any ONE thing (school work in general) for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. I say this as a rigorous, academically traditional homeschooler who does start formal academics early... so I'm not coming at this from the POV that 4 year olds shouldn't be doing school work - that isn't my philosophy at all. I'm just gently recommending that you only expect him to sit still for VERY small increments (or even just focus for very small increments).

Yesterday I worked on counting by 2's and pairs with my boy. Earlier that day we worked on phonics. Later religion would have been done... and even later than that we would have done a literature assignment (I say "would have" because we got side tracked yesterday by mom not feeling well, lol). "School" took all day, but it was broken up by an hour or more between subjects/projects for free play.

Quoting almondpigeon:

it was technically for the kindergartener (he has a thing for rainbows) but they always participate in each other's projects & crafts. he had a lot of fun making the chain...but when it was time to switch subjects, he said he was finished. and I should say he is only 4 so we are doing a modified kinder year.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I'm not trying to be disrespectful, but my kids would have been bored to tears with that lesson on rainbows.   That would have been a preschool project and discussion, but not second grade level.   They would have walked away after a short time, too.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I child led school so I really don't have that issue to much. But if there's something that I would really like to get done, I use trickery or bribery,lol.

Hey, I bet you can't read three pages. Nah, it's too hard for you. Then of course he has to prove me wrong,lol. Or I bribe with money. 1 point equals 2 cents. So if a couple nickles get the job done, I'm all for it.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Best... reply... ever... LOLbaking

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Bake a fresh batch of brownies, set them in the middle of the table, serve everyone a nice cold glass of milk, and try again.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Baked goods can solve many issues, not just hs related! :)
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

They may need a small break in the day.  Let them do a lesson and then have a bit of free time.  I usually set the timer and tell them when the timer beeps then we need to go back to the next thing on the list.  This typically works for us. 

I had one that was incredibly difficult to channel and get her to focus for any longer than about 5 or 10 mins.  In comes a new food allergy and the fact that she couldn't see what she was doing.  She now has said food removed from her diet which has helped her focusing ability and she can see which makes her want to focus.  This was just our experience.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I would ask them what they want to learn about or what do they want to do first & let them have more control over what is done, where it is done & even how it is done. Children like to have a say in what they do, if they feel like they have some power they are more willing to do what you want!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Oh, then it sounds like you are doing swimmingly.   I think it's ok for them to walk away sometimes at 4 and say they are done.   It's the only way to keep them going later is for them to not hate it when they are little.

Quoting almondpigeon:

Quoting KrissyKC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)