Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm considering homeschooling and I have a few questions.

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

My youngest is starting kindergarten and I would love to homeschool but I'm not sure if it's for me. I'm not a stuctured, scheduled person. I am very impulsive and hate having to do things at certain times, and sticking to schedules and routines is just not for me. 

Is it really possible to homeschool with a loose schedule?

Are there any programs that would allow me to homeschool part time or have her in public school but supplement with homeschool work? 

Or should I just stick to public school and supplement on my own? 

And advice, tips, resources, anything would be appreciated.

I also have 3 older kids, 2 in high school and one in college, but they will stay where they are. They have no desire to try homeschooling and I'm not going to push it.

Thanks!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM

There are so many different options.  If you do child led learning....then your schedule is fairly loose, not to structured and you follow your childs interests.  You will have to make sure that they get some of the basics in like math and phonics.....but you can base that around your childs interests so that they are intrigued and want to learn.

oredeb
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this

hi myrkids, if it werent possible to hs with a loose schedule , i sure wouldnt be doing it all these years!!!hahahahaha its possible, anyway you want to do it!

how bout not sending her to school at all! you can do it!!! you've been doing it since she was born! 

check up on your hoomeschool law for your state when your sure you want to do it and follow it.

kindergarten is easy to hs, theres lots of online sites to help, workbooks in stores, make up your own,

you dont have to follow what the public school does, school how it suits you and your child.

1CynfulDlite
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM

This mama has a case of Pro Crastination so doing structured for me is killing me as much as my son.  This afternoon we're working on lessons.  He wants to do his art lesson first (we are also in K).  I told him first we'd do math and Language and if he got through them without fighting with me then we could do art for as long has he wanted.  Mix it up or go with a more hands on approach to teaching.  How much have you already taught your child about letter and number, shape and color recognition without realizing it.  If you don't work well with structure then don't do structured.  Make as much of it fun as possible.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Kinder is so easy, I'm sure you could do it! Heck here that is just a half day at public school, anyway. 8) You can do this, no problem.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Having a lose flexible schedule is going to be great so that when opportunity's pop up unexpectedly you will have the ability to take them rather then miss out on something that might be a great learning experience. Kindergarten should be fun & engaging so play games, sing, dance, make messes & your child will learn & flourish at home.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

We run a business, I can almost all of our food, we raise goats and chickens, I make cheese and soap......if it weren't for flexibility in homeschooling I would have gone insane long ago!! LOL

You'll do a GREAT job!!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I have a routine, but stray from it frequently... it's more of a guide than a routine.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:22 PM
All of this! We are quite "loose"

Quoting oredeb:

hi myrkids, if it werent possible to hs with a loose schedule , i sure wouldnt be doing it all these years!!!hahahahaha its possible, anyway you want to do it!

how bout not sending her to school at all! you can do it!!! you've been doing it since she was born! 

check up on your hoomeschool law for your state when your sure you want to do it and follow it.

kindergarten is easy to hs, theres lots of online sites to help, workbooks in stores, make up your own,

you dont have to follow what the public school does, school how it suits you and your child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)