Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How often have you changed curriculum?

Posted by   + Show Post

If you found that something wasn't working, did you change the curriculum or stick it out? 

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:05 AM

From k-3 we did a box curriculum that was great.  4th wasn't so for 5th and 6th I was trial and erroring what worked and what didn't. 7th so far has been good, but still not great.  When my oldest is in high school my youngest will be in k or 1st, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:59 AM
I've changed a lot and usually right away. Tyipcally, if it was expensive, we stuck it out BUT I would tweak it to try and be a bit more accomodating. For example, History Odyssey didn't really work for us last year because my daughter was struggling so much with reading, and it ended up being too reading intensive for her, and she is NOT an audio learner, so me reading it to her was of no value. We ended up skipping a good majority of the readings, and did more projects, and the History Channel was fortunatly showing tons of the stuff on the Middle Ages and we watched that more often...and it oddly followed the program quite well lol. So I knew she was watching, she had to draw pictures of what she remembered. I read over the text to myself, and asked questions that both the reading and shows covered and we calle dit a day. We are still using it this year though, but we've meshed it with Story of the World a bit more, and her reading has improved 10fold over this summer. If it still doesn't work with us this year, it will get the official boot... Reading and writing, we've changed a ton of times throughout the year last year, and it seemed that nothing was working. I ended up throwing writing out the window all together at some point last year, and reading we just tore our hair and eyeballs out trying to just work on getting her reading better. I think I found stuff that'll actually keep her interested and at her level.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

The only thing I've ever stuck with was McGuffey readers. Every math I've ever tried bombed, including Life of Fred. I've never been happy with any science I've ever tried,so I just made up my own. History had to change because the programs that cover American history don't cover Ancient or Medieval history and vice versa. I've never been afraid to toss something that wasn't working. There is no point in trying to struggle with a bad fit. I also don't necessarily need to stay "consistent" or brand loyal.

FootballFan12
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

That is my thing. It is really expensive but I dont want to stick with something that isn't right for my kid.

Quoting No_Difference:

I've changed a lot and usually right away. Tyipcally, if it was expensive, we stuck it out BUT I would tweak it to try and be a bit more accomodating. For example, History Odyssey didn't really work for us last year because my daughter was struggling so much with reading, and it ended up being too reading intensive for her, and she is NOT an audio learner, so me reading it to her was of no value. We ended up skipping a good majority of the readings, and did more projects, and the History Channel was fortunatly showing tons of the stuff on the Middle Ages and we watched that more often...and it oddly followed the program quite well lol. So I knew she was watching, she had to draw pictures of what she remembered. I read over the text to myself, and asked questions that both the reading and shows covered and we calle dit a day. We are still using it this year though, but we've meshed it with Story of the World a bit more, and her reading has improved 10fold over this summer. If it still doesn't work with us this year, it will get the official boot... Reading and writing, we've changed a ton of times throughout the year last year, and it seemed that nothing was working. I ended up throwing writing out the window all together at some point last year, and reading we just tore our hair and eyeballs out trying to just work on getting her reading better. I think I found stuff that'll actually keep her interested and at her level.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Is it a full curriculum or just a subject? Is it something you can adjust or is the whole thing just not working?

Quoting FootballFan12:

That is my thing. It is really expensive but I dont want to stick with something that isn't right for my kid.

Quoting No_Difference:

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I have no problem changing anything that we feel isn't working.  I feel no obligation to "stick it out".  That said, we do give any curriculum or program the good ole college try (because I hate wasting money), but if it's obvious it isn't going well, I will toss it.   

We started out unschooling, where we had a "curriculum in retrospect", lol.  That lasted 2 years, then, ds asked for more structure.

We then tried Ambleside Online since we always loved Charlotte Mason's methods.  That lasted 3 years.  Then ds got tired of all the old literature.

Now we use an eclectic assortment of programs - something different for each subject (Saxon for math, Lightning Lit for English, Apologia for science, etc) and this is working out really well for ds.  We'll be starting our 2nd year with the eclectic method.  We still incorporate lots of Charlotte Mason activities and a lot of the unschooling philosophy as well.  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:41 PM
As I have never bought any curriculum, I am always changing and finding ways to help the kids learn. I write out all curriculum and then tweak as we go. Like Johnny on the spot, tweak as we go.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Oh I forgot to mention that I am not beyond using used books or the SAT and GED to help tweak and strengthen my older kids' schooling.
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I'll dump curriculum in a heart beat! 

oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM

i would try to use it in a different way, i wouldnt change right away, ive found theres always a way to make something work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)