Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

They flip flopped on me this year!

Posted by   + Show Post
In the last 3 years that we have homeschooled my oldest ds has had issues one after another. He struggled and struggled. At one point I didn't think he would ever read!
His sister? no problem. she has sailed right through..not even having to try.
This year we started out. DS is doing amazing. He is getting the concepts, he is reading. I can get him started on something and he can more or less just do his work. So proud of his progress. He has been a joy to work with this year.
Now..DD is another story all together this year. She started out like usual. It was clicking and and was getting it. But then she just stopped. I'm not sure if she has hit a mental/developmental wall, if she is bored or if she just doesn't want to have to try to learn? she has never really had to 'try' before now. It has just come to her. She is giving me wrong answers to stuff I know she knows, purposely transposing numbers and sounding out words with the wrong sounds..stuff that she knows..I know she knows it and so does she. *sigh*
I've changed a few things around and am trying some different approaches with her. I guess I shouldn't let it bother me. She is not even 6 yet and is almost half way through her 1st grade work.

Just wanted to say..they threw me a curve ball this year. I'm having to step up my game with one, and can finally relax a little with the other one.

Anyone else get thrown for a loop yet this year?
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Replies (11-11):
oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:49 PM

maybe shes just resting before she takes off again!!

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

she started learning to read at 3. I want to stress the point that i did not push her. she would sit and beg and showed signs of being ready. she has hit a few 'developmental walls' in the last couple years, but for the most par has zoomed through.

Quoting oredeb:

awwwww lyndsay, maybe its a growing spurt!!! that great about your son!!!

how old was she when you first started teaching her academics?

no loops here yet!! (we've not started up yet)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)