Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone like...

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 9 Replies

Homeschooling online? Anytime I ask questions about homeschooling almost every one has said they tried virtual schools but then didn't like it and decided to do it on their own. So I have been researching and trying to get an idea on where to start so I can homeschool my children on my own. I am so overwhlemed with how to start homeschooling I think I am just going to start with a virtual school and see how that goes and then figure out what I will do from there.

If you have done or are doing homeschooling online and are more like a guide for your children rather than a full on teacher please tell me how you honestly feel about it.

Have you thought about doing it on your own or do you prefer having an actual teacher?

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
We do not do any homeschooling online. I don't have the link at the moment about passive learning. Bump for someone who does :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM

We did not like it, bump for ya!

Precious333
by Julia on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:38 PM
Never done homeschooling onlne. We have some curriculum that we bought and like, and manu other games and activities that we do as well.
QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We use Time4Learning.com for some of our instruction. Is that what you mean by online schooling or did you mean k12? 

Mama22EE
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:00 PM

K12 - The school I am looking at now is called Ohio Connections Academy

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Never had experience with Connections academy. My 6 year old is using K12 again this year. Both she and her 7 year old sister used them last year.

Their curriculum is pretty good though like any boxed curriculum some of it could be better. I consider myself my dd's teacher even though we have a teacher.

My dd loves her teacher and thanks to one class a week we see her weekly.

We probably will not go with k12 next year because they have to go to common core and I disagree with common core. So that is a personal choice.

It is slightly more stressful because we have lots of deadlines. But my dd loves it.

Quoting Mama22EE:

Mama22EE
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:21 PM

What does common core mean?

Quoting debramommyof4:

Never had experience with Connections academy. My 6 year old is using K12 again this year. Both she and her 7 year old sister used them last year.

Their curriculum is pretty good though like any boxed curriculum some of it could be better. I consider myself my dd's teacher even though we have a teacher.

My dd loves her teacher and thanks to one class a week we see her weekly.

We probably will not go with k12 next year because they have to go to common core and I disagree with common core. So that is a personal choice.

It is slightly more stressful because we have lots of deadlines. But my dd loves it.

Quoting Mama22EE:

Knightquester
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I use some online programs for certain subjects, but I'm not a fan of online virtual schools because they are too controlled and rigid for my taste.

I don't mind the idea of using things that offer my children some assistance in an area, or instructional information and help, but I like being able to alter the program to what best works best for us.  Time4Learning was a nice supplementary site when my kids were younger, and all of my children are using Science Fusion which has a small workbook and an online virtual program my children accesses and use, including virtual labs.  I know some math programs that have a lot of online work like Teaching Textbooks, and Aleks that I've heard good things about and thought of trying.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:52 PM

oh yeah, I use time4learning, too, with my kindy this year, and used it with my older elementary students last year as a guide and base line to our studies.

It's an excellent resource in this house that helps me not to HAVE to teach every minute of the thousand hours missouri requires we log.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN