Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I get to breathe now

I feel like I might finally have a handle on getting this year started.

Trig - She finally finished Algebra 2 and made a B- in the class. Woohoo!! We also settled on using THINKWELL for Trig this year. Now the question is - how will this year and next year fit together, since she wants to go back to the public school? We can double up lessons to do Trig this semester and Pre-Calc next semester so that she can do AP Calc as a senior, along with AP Physics. Or, she can do Trig this year and Pre-Calc next year and only do Honors Physics. I want to sit down with the registrar at the high school and ask her to help me hammer this out.

Economics - We'll start with the book NAKED ECONOMICS: UNDRESSING THE DISMAL SCIENCE by Charles Wheelan. I found an 8-wk lesson plan that we'll go through, plus do a stock market game. We'll finish up the semester with some Dave Ramsey style personal finance lessons.

Science - Finally got the community college thing sorted out, and her textbook for Astronomy, DISCOVERING THE ESSENTIAL UNIVERSE by Neil Comins arrived today. We rented it from Amazon for about $40. It was selling used for almost $80. Classes twice a week and they start next week.

Spanish - We were supposed to do Spanish last year, but it got dropped by the wayside. So we'll pick it up this year. Right now, she's using Mango Online through our local library website as a review. We'll probaby keep working through that for a week or two, then jump into the new stuff with BREAKING THE BARRIER, SPANISH 2. I'm never fully happy with any foreign language text, so I'm kind of crossing my fingers on this one.

Latin - We're learning this together! We'll share the textbook, but we each have our own workbooks. So far, so good.

English Composition - I have Composition worked out, I hope. We're trying out the new Time4Writing high school level class for writing SAT essays. The 8 week course takes us through Sept and Oct. In Oct, we'll start NaNo prep and she'll use their workbook to do the NaNo Young Writers Program in November.

English Lit: Shakespeare - This is really the only class where I feel behind still. We're supposed to start an Intro to Shakespeare next week and I don't have anything really concrete worked out, just a hodgepodge of sources and books. I do have THE ESSENTIAL SHAKESPEARE, as well as SHAKESPEARE MADE EASY: HAMLET, as well as the play text from Folgers. I just have to put it all in some useful order.

Co-Op: There are 3 kids registered for my Jungle to Graveyard class, so I'm not sure if we'll even bother with it. Plenty of kids registered for Drama, though! And I haven't even looked at a plan for that. Better get on that next week after I figure out Shakespeare.

Next semester: If Time4Writing isn't a total washout, we'll use them again in the spring for their course on writing a research paper. Lit will be Fairytales, Folklore and Mythology. We'll substitute US and World Geography for Economics in the spring. And I have no clue what we'll do for Science. It's my understanding that 1 semester of a college course = 1 high school credit, which means that she'll have earned sufficient science credits for the year, but taking another class might be useful.

Am I missing anything? Do I sound like Tiger Mom? Anyone have experience with any of these books or curricula and want to warn me away now?

I'm tired.

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I like my corner. I just go back and forth and back and forth. Very soothing.

Quoting KrissyKC:

I just answered "yes" I'm planning to homeschool through highschool in another post... but now, you have me rocking in the corner biting my nails!!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Oh I love them all (except I agree about Romeo and Juliet!!!  I HATE that play!)  I taught Midsummer to my 9th graders instead of Romeo and Juliet.  I just let them watch the movie (the old one, not the one with the guns and stuff) because it is an allusion in so many other books I felt they needed to at least be familiar with it, but I could not spend the month necessary to truly cover it. 

Most schools only cover the tragedies (one per year) with an option to do a comedy once (usually 9th grade with Midsummer, or 10th grade they can usually choose between Julius Cesaer and Taming of the Shrew)  So that is fantastic to give her such a broad Shakespearean base.  In our school 10th and 12th grades were American Lit, but they still do a Shakespeare..LOL!

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I like Hamlet quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to it. We're also doing Richard III, and Taming of the Shrew.

I wanted to do one tragedy, one history and one comedy and it was hard to pick! I refuse to do Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play sooooo much! But the hardest part was leaving behind King Lear, which I adore, Othello and Macbeth. *sigh* I'm also still torn on Taming of the Shrew. I love it, but I'm also a big fan of Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest, which isn't really a comedy, but is still a favorite.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

All I can say is that I LOVE Hamlet!! (I teach younger ones)

Go rest now!  :-)

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

WOW!!!! Glad you have it all worked out, but my head is spinning.  We haven't made it out of elementary levels, don't want to think about HS and college prep.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw an interesting take on Othello once.  It was at the National Shakespeare Theater, and they had Patrick Stewart play Othello with an all black cast.  They didn't change the language at all, though, so it was a bit of a disconnect to me listening to them speak of the dark skin and Moorish ways when discussing this white boy on stage.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I like Hamlet quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to it. We're also doing Richard III, and Taming of the Shrew.

I wanted to do one tragedy, one history and one comedy and it was hard to pick! I refuse to do Romeo and Juliet. I hate that play sooooo much! But the hardest part was leaving behind King Lear, which I adore, Othello and Macbeth. *sigh* I'm also still torn on Taming of the Shrew. I love it, but I'm also a big fan of Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest, which isn't really a comedy, but is still a favorite.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

All I can say is that I LOVE Hamlet!! (I teach younger ones)

Go rest now!  :-)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Laughter is good for the soul.  Or so they say.  I'm crying today just thinking about 6 years from now....  :)

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

You guys made me laugh, which I totally needed!!

Quoting Boobah:

Holy nuts. I don't even want to think about upper grades yet. *leaves post*
Quoting hwblyf:

I agree with Boobah.  Holy Nuts.  Not only do I not want to think about the upper grades, but to me it sounds like you've totally got it covered way better than I remember my own high school stuff being covered!  Good luck with it all, it sounds amazing!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I know who I'll be looking up when I get to the older grades :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this
That is fudge ripple ice cream AMAZING!!!!!!! I LOVE this! All I want to know is...

Can I come be your student too???? Please Please Please????? :) :) :) :)
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh goodie! Group projects!!

Quoting kirbymom:

That is fudge ripple ice cream AMAZING!!!!!!! I LOVE this! All I want to know is...

Can I come be your student too???? Please Please Please????? :) :) :) :)

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:05 PM

This was my exact reaction...lol

Quoting Boobah:

Holy nuts. I don't even want to think about upper grades yet. *leaves post*

chlippr77
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:28 PM
My thinking exactly. I'm coming back to this post and copying you ;)
Quoting Dawn07:

I know who I'll be looking up when I get to the older grades :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)