Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores and Allowance: Should we pay our kids or not?

I am trying to figure out what to do with my son. He is 10. I want to set up a chore/allowance system. I wanted to know if you have a system set up for your children for chores/allowance. If so, how old are your kids, what chores do they do and how much do you pay them? 

If your kids don't have chores or receive an allowance, why not? 

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
gummibear
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not give money, but they do their chores they get 2 hours of tv or computer games on altering nights before bed. 2 on computer 2 watch movie from 7-9pm and then bed at 9pm That is for 16, 15, 10, 9 and our 5yr does some chores but does not get paid.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM
My kids are 9 and 10, they each get $5/week if they do their chores without being told a million times and without complaining excessively. They take turns doing the dishes daily, one is responsible for trash the other recycling-alternates weekly and includes taking it out of the house and bringing the big trash to the end of the driveway on Wednesday mornings and back up after they're empty. They also both sweep twice a week, alternating the part of the house weekly. They have to feed and let out/in the dog when asked, and they have to fold and put away their laundry when it's clean. They also have to help with pretty much anything we ask them to do around the house (we really don't ask that much, and sometimes they earn extra for some things). And they can ask for ways to earn extra money too. Oh, and they are supposed to keep their rooms clean, or at least have it clean on Sundays.

We have tried many different things, so far this has worked the best and lasted the longest (since May I think). I dock their allowance when they don't do chores or complain like crazy. Sometimes I don't pay at all if it was a horrible week. For them to keep track, they each have a month long calendar I printed from calendarsthatwork.com, and they fill in their days for dishes, weeks for trash/recycling and which section for sweeping they have, they keep these on the fridge since dishes is the most common chore and they seem to always forget whose turn it is, lol.
hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My kids get an allowance from 5yo to 10yo.  They start with $3/week, and they're expected to divvy that up between savings, spending, and church.  At 8 they bump to $4/week, and it's interesting to see how they decide to treat that extra dollar.  My oldest just got cut off from an allowance, but periodically I offer up heavier chores that I might, foreseeably, if I weren't so cheap, farm out to someone else.  All the kids get offered these chores, and the money is to go in their Christmas fund, from which they buy presents.  They have chores also, but those aren't what gets them their allowance.  The allowance is for learning about money, the chores are for learning to be a part of the team, how to run a house, and to help off set the crazy amount of work they put me through when they put toxic whatever on their ceilings (seriously, I'm not touching that).  I don't want them thinking they can opt out of chores just by accepting the fact that they won't get money, that's the route my oldest would take.  And I have my future daughter-in-law to think of here!  :)

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:53 PM

The way we did it was that the kids all had chores each week that they had to do to help out the family and for no pay.

They could volunteer to do other chores for money.

In addition they got a very small allowance that wasn't tied to anything at all. It was for them to learn how to deal with money and nothing more.

Joann.HS
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Yup, we pay them an allowance for chores!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Nope. Every one works in this house free of charge.
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM

DS does chores and he doesn't get an allowance.  It is just the two of us so he is expected to help keep the house clean.  His room is his responsibility, he is learning to do laundry now and he is expected to help put his clothes away.  He helps me take out the trash and the recycling and helps with the dishes.  If he does extra chores during the week he gets paid for those. 

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM
DD has responsibilities that she does because she's part of the family. Not tied to an allowance. She also has a set of jobs that she receives an allowance for. She is 5 and gets $2 a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyfiregirl
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:29 AM

my kids are 9,8,7,6 that have chores the babies do not. they are responsible for picking their stuff out of all rooms and clean their room at the end of the day. one collects dirty laundry, one puts it in the washer on trades it to the dryer and the last hangs it in the closet after i hang them on hangers and sort them(big girls laundry only) one empties the trash each night one helps pick up babies toys, one wipes down the table and one amkes sure all trash is picked up from their room. they dont get an allowence i feel that my kids should have responsiblity and help to an extent. if the chores are kept up we have family friday where fridays are for going on field trips or having a fun relaxing day out!

marrionsmommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:48 AM
No allowance just regular chores that he has to do. Now if there is somethingnthat he wants, like he wanted minecraft for 7 bucks on his ipod, he can do extra chores at .50 each to earn the money.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)