Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chores and Allowance: Should we pay our kids or not?

I am trying to figure out what to do with my son. He is 10. I want to set up a chore/allowance system. I wanted to know if you have a system set up for your children for chores/allowance. If so, how old are your kids, what chores do they do and how much do you pay them? 

If your kids don't have chores or receive an allowance, why not? 

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Replies (21-30):
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:21 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids always liked helping me with chores, even when only 2yrs old. At around 8yrs old I start officially teaching the kids how to do chores around the house. I am patient with them learning how to do chores. It is something that as a mom I feel is very important to teach my kids - and with loving patience.

I didn't know where I stood with the allowance issue. However, at around ages 10-12yrs I noticed the kids wanting to buy things related to their interests and such. So in our house, at age 10, you can start earning allowances. For our family, it is $5.- a wk (works out to about $20 a mth). 

By 16, I buy them their first car and they are expected to get a job and no longer receive an allowance. They have to put a certain percentage of money into savings (for college) and the other percentage is to cover their expenses and extras (car ins, gas, etc).

My oldest daughter is grown, lives here and plans to attend college. She pays $25 a week for "rent" (covers food and such). I am saving the money to give back to her when she leaves (she doesn't know it) I match her $25 a week. At the end of 4yrs, it should add up to $10,400.- 

Mimiat40
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We haven't been able to give our kids anything for the past couple of years because our money is so tight we can barely get by. When we did give them money we did not give them "allowance" per say. We told them it was their paychecks. We felt like this would help prepare them for adulthood. If you don't work you don't get paid. What we did was put their chores on a dry erase board and when they did it they would check it off. At the end of the night if one chore wasn't done we took off like .50 from their paycheck. If two chores weren't done, we took off a dollar from their paycheck. There wasn't many days when they skipped something. It's like an adult not showing up for work, they just wouldn't get paid.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM

Mine are 4 and 9 and they have chores but not an allowance. They are members of the family and are expected to help with jobs around the house. If it is something that is above and beyond what they normally need, then they'll get something extra, but that is extremely rare, and it is usually not money.

My 4 year old:

Wash the table, sweep the kitchen floor,put away silverare, (soon to add put away lower cabinet dishes), wash lower kitchen cabinets once every other week, help sort laundry, help fold laundry, vacuum his room (because he can and actually loves the vacuum), make his bed, feed the dog, help wash down walls once a month (since it's mostly his hand prints, but this also a tacked on chore if he was misbehaving), and help wash down lower trim once a month (also a tacked on chore)

My 9 year old:

Clean bathrooms once a week (she has "the kids bathroom" and as a tacked on chore the downstairs half bath and it includes toilets, tubs, sinks, mirrors, and floors), clean the upstairs hallway, dishes twice a day (with the exception of the 4 yr old's part), vacuum the living room, sweep and mop the foyer once a week, wash windows once every other week, clean dog's food and water dishes, make sure the dog has fresh water, make her bed, clean her closet and help with the foyer closet (since it usually ends up being her shoes and coats making the mess) once every other week....I think thats it for her...

As part of our punishment system, my "chores list" is broken down into columns of what is age appropriate for the little guy, for either of them, or just the older one, and if they get into trouble, they pull a chore from my list. Some of the ones that I already listed are the typical ones that are drawn first, but there are plenty more. Cleaning the dog's poo spot, dusting vents, and taking out garbage on garbage night are a few more...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:29 AM

so far, I've rarely ever paid my kids for chores. They have to pitch in because that is part of living in this house. And as for funds, they have pretty much everything they want and need... so I don't see what they need their own money for! But there are times in a store where I'll give everyone a set amount and they can choose to spend it or not. They are 9, 9 and 11. But I did just tell my 11 year old that if he completed the Red Cross babysitter course, I'd pay him to be the one in-charge if I run to the store. He finished the entire on-line class in one sitting!!!

housewifehell
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM
My kids are too young to get paid for chores (2 and 3) but they love doing them so I do what I can to encourage the habit that we have things we have to do every day. I find it funny when they fight over who is going to feed the dog because they both want to do it or who is going to empty the dishwasher.
oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

i think its up to the parents, no right or wrong way of it.

i started chores as soon as a child could hold a rag in their hands, we have 4 main chores, living room which includes vac, sweep, mop, clean up living room, dust, porch, etc, then theres kitchen which includes all the kitchen stuff and garbage, straighten pantry, next is bathrooms everything in bathroom, make sure there is towels and soap and such if not put it on the list in the kitchen, and  last laundry room which includes folding, washing but not putting away(kids put their own clothes away), cleaning up laundry room, back porch, hauling wood in, etc, also as son got older he chopped wood and stacked(paid job), and everyone shared in feeding the animals and working in the garden and whoever was on kitchen got to sit up front in the car, these jobs lasted for a week at a time then they'd change jobs.

when the kids were younger they got 3 dollars a month as long as they did their chores, to spend on anything they wanted

when older they didnt get paid for the everyday chores but for the extra stuff they did they got paid, and also people hired them to do stuff so they got paid for that.

StepDucky
by Sarah on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My 11 yr old does 2 chores a day, he has set things to do each day. He doesn't get an allowance yet, but my husband and I have been starting about starting an allowance. 

Brush the dogs, pick up the dog poop, vaccum upstairs, vaccum downstairs, clean his bathroom, take out the trash and the recycle, take the trash and  recycle to the curb, do laundry, get the mail...

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Quoting Mimiat40:

We haven't been able to give our kids anything for the past couple of years because our money is so tight we can barely get by. When we did give them money we did not give them "allowance" per say. We told them it was their paychecks. We felt like this would help prepare them for adulthood. If you don't work you don't get paid. What we did was put their chores on a dry erase board and when they did it they would check it off. At the end of the night if one chore wasn't done we took off like .50 from their paycheck. If two chores weren't done, we took off a dollar from their paycheck. There wasn't many days when they skipped something. It's like an adult not showing up for work, they just wouldn't get paid.

This is totally a question out of curiosity, no judgment I swear!! Can you explain your thoughts behind the stuff in red?  See here are my thoughts: there are things we need to do at home that no one gets paid for like laundry, making meals, cleaning, those are our chores so I don't pay them for those base chores I only pay for the ones "above their paygrade" LOL.  So I am truly curious as to the whole "paycheck" thing.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM
My family is odd. We don't do allowances but we go have chores. My older 3 can go out and earn money in the neighborhood doing various odd jobs but the 3 younger ones can't/not allowed bc of age but they can earn their stuff by doing various odd jobs around the house or for the older kids.
JTE11
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:56 PM

My DD is only two and not old enough for a money system yet but the way we did it when I was growing up was that we all had chores (parents and kids) that we had to do, because my parents' opinion was we were all contributing to the family. Nobody gets paid for being part of the family but everyone pitches in. When it was time for school clothes my parents would pay for so much (a dollar amount) and if I wanted more than that I could do extra jobs around the house to earn extra money. Likewise if I wanted to buy music CDs (or other things just for fun) I could do extra jobs to earn money for that. It worked well. If for some reason I didn't get something done I wasn't allowed to watch TV or go with my friends until it was done. It also kept me from just taking my saved up allowance and spending it on something stupid on a whim. Everything was planned out and the money had a purpose before I even earned it. My parents took care of basic needs (school supplies and a certain amount of school clothes) and I worked to earn everything else. Each job had a specific price, so I knew what I could do and how long it would take me to earn it. Worked well, and I appreciated the money I did get.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN