Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Received my kids' permanent records today ... UPDATE

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am so glad to be OUT of that system.

Some the condescending comments my oldest's teachers wrote down... ugh.  "class clown."  "argumentative" & in 2nd grade "Parents seem to be making excuses..." (No, lady ... you were a dishelved, aggresive mess and we were under attack at that Parent Teacher Conference.) "not a follower" ?!?  

But even worse than that, was the fact that some didn't even BOTHER to write anything down.  They just wrote quick "  " marks in agreement with the previous teacher's comments.  You couldn't even be bothers to write ONE sentence after a full year with my child?  

I get it.  I know my kid.  He can be unmotivated and he will do the bare minimum of any assignment or project, he does struggle with staying on task and being organized but he is MORE than that.  And his test scores put him ABOVE in everything this year.  He is a smart and capable child.  He just doesn't do well in a classroom for hours with pages and pages of copy work.  

I will GLADLY take "not a follower" with the BS they are teaching!  I only wish I had made this leap earlier.  

UPDATE:

Since a few have asked how I got the records.  I submitted a "formal" (typed up myself) "Notice of Withdrawal & Request of Records" form that I sent to the Principle and I may have sent one to the District office as well.  Basically, keep it simple and formal looking.  Something along the lines of "My child/children no longer attend XYZ School, they are now attending Our Amazing Home School, please forward all records."  I found a sample form on the HSLDA website when I did it, but now I can't seem to find it again to share the link.  They are legally OBLIGATED to hand over the records within 2 weeks.  

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

That is crazy.  I really wish I knew what my dd's first teacher said about her.  But I could care less, in the end I know she is a handful.  She has decided never to go back to public school and I agree with her.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I have considered asking for my kids' records, but I haven't done it. What did you do to request them? I wonder what I have to do to get them, lol. I physically brought our letters of intent last week, they took them but wouldn't sign them then-told me I would get a letter in the mail, still haven't gotten anything....
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
1 mom liked this

YAY!

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally hear you! Havne't seen my son's record, but had enough teacher conferences to get all the same BS>

I have to go to the library tomorrow and find a passage in the book "The Minds of Boys." It totally sums up what I think you experienced and what I experienced and why I submitted the forms to HS my youngest son.

No signed approval letter has arrived to me here either - very anxious! And my other two kids will stay in PS - not thrilled with the education they are getting but they exhibit all the behaviors teachers love (generally just sitting still and looking attentive even if they are completely daydreaming!!) and I feel overwhelmed with the thought of trying to HS 3 kids, especially when those 2 like school and want to keep going.

good luck!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Hmmm, i never thought to ask for Julia's.
and "not a follower" is a compliment in my book. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I never did receive my son's records even though I requested them in my withdrawal letter in May. How did you get the records?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this

here's the quote that pretty much solidified for me that homeschooling was my best option and that the school was in complete denial that there is a possible issue with the school learning environment for many boys:

"When you notice males in educational distress, you can point out that we are creating for our sons an educational system not well suited to certain aspects of their brain; a system that claims they are defective, disordered, or incorrigible because they can't learn; a system that insists that they should be able to change -- even further, that their inability to change is yet another flaw in their character as males, one that supposedly requires medication." (from The Minds of Boys, MIchale Gurian, pg. 60)

and I had the pleasure to meet with the school psycholgist who suggested my child was suffereing from severe mental illness. Her proof included an example of a class task that he refused to do and just wasted time and bothered his neighbors instead. It was cutting peices of a picture up like a puzzle and pasting it back down on another sheet. Now seriously, is cutting and pasting a valuable task? Why is that so much more of an indication of developmental normalcy and future sucess than, say, building something with legos??

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

"not a follower" is the best compliment any teacher could give in my opinion. I am sure if my daughter had to go to PS she would recieve many of the same comments. My child is stubborn and hates to sit still for more than 5 minutes at a time not to mention the talking (oh lord the talking) we would constantly be in parent teacher meetings.

unsuspected
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

EXACTLY!  :oD  Thank you so much for sharing that quote.

Quoting Chasing3:

here's the quote that pretty much solidified for me that homeschooling was my best option and that the school was in complete denial that there is a possible issue with the school learning environment for many boys:

"When you notice males in educational distress, you can point out that we are creating for our sons an educational system not well suited to certain aspects of their brain; a system that claims they are defective, disordered, or incorrigible because they can't learn; a system that insists that they should be able to change -- even further, that their inability to change is yet another flaw in their character as males, one that supposedly requires medication." (from The Minds of Boys, MIchale Gurian, pg. 60)

and I had the pleasure to meet with the school psycholgist who suggested my child was suffereing from severe mental illness. Her proof included an example of a class task that he refused to do and just wasted time and bothered his neighbors instead. It was cutting peices of a picture up like a puzzle and pasting it back down on another sheet. Now seriously, is cutting and pasting a valuable task? Why is that so much more of an indication of developmental normalcy and future sucess than, say, building something with legos??

“He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect. But if he can make you laugh at least once, causes you to think twice, and if he admits to being human and making mistakes, hold onto him and give him the most you can. He isn’t going to quote poetry, he’s not thinking about you every moment, but he will give you a part of him that he knows you could break. Don’t hurt him, don’t change him, and don’t expect for more than he can give. Don’t analyze. Smile when he makes you happy, yell when he makes you mad, and miss him when he’s not there. Love hard when there is love to be had. Because perfect guys don’t exist, but there’s always one guy that is perfect for you.” ~Bob Marley
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)