Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Planning to homeschool through high school?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 28 Replies

Are you planning on homeschooling through high school?

Is that the point where you'll consider a private or public school?

Are you even thinking that far ahead yet, or just trying to get through Kindergarten? *gg*

If you are hs'ing through high school, are you on an interest-based track, or college-prep?

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

yes i planned to homeschool through highschool and already did it.

never considered a private or public school

and we schooled on an interest based track, none of the kids wanted college then

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

My eldest will be high school age in two-three years.     I do plan to HS all the way through.   

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My daughter has this year and next year, before we finally make that choice.  I'm hoping to homeschool through high school, but there are many variables in if we will be able to or not.

Britty1987
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:50 AM
My son is in 2nd grade so I'm not that far yet but I want to. As long as we dual enroll he can participate in all sports and activities. He really likes homeschooling because of the flexibility so as long as it still works for us I hope so
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM
I'm planning to continue through high school. For my ds I'll just do interest based since he is already well on his way to becoming a mechanic like my dh. Working at our family owned shop is already part of his curriculum. Dd is planning on college, so this year ( 7th grade) we'll start tracking her grades, classes, and activities to start building her portfolio for future college admission.
ripemango
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Our daughter is about to turn 5. The plan is that she will be attending a public or private high school. However, we aren't against HSing for high school either. We fully believe she will be able to articulate her desire for the path she wants the most for her education. Ultimately, it will be her choice, but in reality it will most definitely include college preparatory courses but also focus on personal interest regardless of where or how she is educated. I feel that both are important.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

We are definitely going to homeschool through high school.

My older girls went on to (excellent) public high schools, but as good as they were they still left me (and the girls) dissatisfied with the academics and time wasting.  

Ds is sure he'd like to continue homeschooling for high school.

We combine interest-based and college prep.  Ds (12) follows his interests every day and will continue in the upper grades.  NYC has tons of volunteer opportunities, apprenticeships, classes, and hand-on field work experiences for teens with any passion.  He also plans on attending college, so college-prep is important, too. 

Angela

dd(19) Internship in Manhattan, dd(17) Senior at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(12) 7th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Actually i had only planned to homeschool for high school, but situations at our local PS got in the way.  I am glad they did, but I never thought I would be able to teach the young ones.

We are interest-based right now, but we will be moving to a stricter college-prep style as they get older.  Right now (pre-k, 1st, and 3/4th) I think anything beyond reading, writing and math is just icing on the cake.  Boosting interest in science, history, geography, music, and art is all great; but they really never delve too deeply or remember very much from those subjects when they are covered in the early years.  Don't get me wrong, we have great and wonderful discussions, but I am realistically thinking about my own elementary years and how little I remember.  I know that I will have to truly cover the topics in middle and high school.

Also I kept all of the materials I used when teaching 9th and 10th grade language arts and when tutoring physics and algebra, so I already have a good deal of material for when they get older!  YAY

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM
We are planning on homeschooling through high school. I haven't considered how yet, I'm thinking oak meadow, though I'm not sure if I will use their "school" or do it all myself. I'm kind of a do it myself kind of person, but we will see how it goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Yes =)

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)